Another group sues ex-members over website

by DocBob 8 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• DocBob
    DocBob

After I posted a news item on my website about charges in a lawsuit against Rick Ross being dropped in Federal Court, a couple who is still involved in the lawsuit contacted me. They are Jim Bergin and Judy Garvey. They are former members of the Gentle Wind Project (GWP) and the counts against them in the lawsuit are still being persued.

Check out Jim and Judy's website at Wind of Changes. As I read their site, especially Jim's article A Husband's Perspective , I could not help but be stuck by the similarities between many of their experiences and ours.

Obviously this is a very important case for Jim and Judy, but I think it also important for former Jehovah's Witnesses who run websites that are critical of the Watchtower as well as former members of all sorts of groups who speak out against the groups with which they were once a part. There are links to the legal documents involved in their case on their website. Take a look at the lawsuit itself. Count 1 of that suit still stands against Judy and Jim. As you read it, think about what would happen if the Watchtower Society filed a similar suit against all the former JWs who run websites.

If the Gentle Wind Project prevails in this case it will set a very dangerous precendent. This should be of particular concern given the Watchtower Society's recent activity aimed at limiting the expression of former Jehovah's Witnesses on their websites.

Jim and Judy also have a legal defense fund going. There are links with information about it on their website.

• ValiantBoy
    ValiantBoy

This is so mind boggling to me--- churches have the right to shun and denounce individuals, but when individuals shun and denounce a church, they can be challenged in court. just mind boggling.

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

It's an effective tactic. The church may not even care if they win the lawsuit. The goal is to bleed the opponent financially dry and make their criticism go away by exerting this pressure. It keeps a lot of media from printing anything negative about Scientology who does this.

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

This type of tactic has been standard operating procedure for the Church of Scientology as is well known.

-Eduardo

• Jim and Judy
    Jim and Judy

We are grateful to DocBob for bringing information to this Forum about Gentle Wind Project's lawsut.

Being sued could be an isolating experience, but we have found that support comes from many unexpected places, and that we have much in common with so many people.

Many thanks,

Jim and Judy

• kls
    kls

Welcome Jim& Judy

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

welcome jim and judy!

its an important work you do. stay strong !

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

Welcome to the forum Jim and Judy, good luck with your lawsuit.

GBL

• MattieSus
    MattieSus

I'm sure there are basic courtesies in pursuing our freedom of speech as former members or followers, that we can follow out of goodness.

I don't think it equates to the public humiliation and blackballing they've gotten away with each and every Disfellowshpping announcement... and the breeches of confidence by committee members and their nosey gossiping wives.

TAKE YOUR BEST SHOT WTBS!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit