Has anyone asked......

by mjl 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• mjl
    mjl

Has anyone ever asked someone about way the memorial is still celebrated? The belief is it is to be done yearly until he arrives, but he was supposed to arrive in 1914. So if that?s the case, he?s already here. Why is it still being celebrated? I was just wondering what the JW response would be. I?ve done research on the library CD but can?t find anything to explain.

MJL

• Goldminer
    Goldminer

I asked that to a former elder once.His response was :"I know where you're going with that one".

And that was it,I think in general they would prefer not to have to reason on it.

• mjl
    mjl

Good way to dodge.......the best reason I've found is, it is done so the remnant can reestablish the "new covenant." But, there is no scriptural basis only the interpretation from the GB. Whom we can NERVER question.

• blondie
    blondie

*** w93 3/15 p. 5 Why the Lord?s Evening Meal Has Meaning for You ***
    For how long? "Until he arrives," said Paul, evidently meaning that these observances would continue until Jesus? arrival to receive his anointed followers into heaven by a resurrection during his "presence." (1 Thessalonians 4:14-17) This is in harmony with Christ?s words to the 11 loyal apostles: "If I go my way and prepare a place for you, I am coming again and will receive you home to myself, that where I am you also may be."?John 14:3.

The most recent WTS teaching is that started in 1918.

w88 10/15 pp. 12-13 "This Is the Day of All Days" ***
    Thus, John?s visionary measuring of the temple sanctuary was a guarantee that during the Lord?s day, all of Jehovah?s purposes regarding the temple would be fulfilled. In harmony with this and according to all the evidence, those of the anointed who had already died faithful began to be resurrected to their promised place in the heavenly sanctuary starting in 1918. (1 Thessalonians 4:16; Revelation 6:9-11)

So it should have ended in 1918 based on their own teachings.

Blondie

• startingover
    startingover

I'm still waiting for their return with the answer to that question...

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/86759/1.ashx

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

The WT makes a (moot) distinction between Jesus' parousia (in 1914) and his "coming" (at Armaggedon), with an intermediary step in 1918/9 (his "arrival" to judge the "temple" class or something like that).

Now if I remember correctly, they also said that the Memorial would be celebrated until the death of the last "anointed" after Armaggedon -- so even by the above standards this contradicts 1 Corinthians 11:26 (which of course doesn't make room for such distinctions).

• mnb77
    mnb77

good question, if he has returned why do we need that celebration. goodness gracious!

• Bas
    Bas

so Maybe if jesus arrived in 1914 he just might have died again without us even knowing where he was or what he did this time. Anyway, he'd have to come up with a bunch of new stuff to prove he's jesus and I honestly don't see any way how anyone could possibly pull it that off. What if jesus spend his days in a mental institution 'cuz everybody thought he was a nutter, seems more probable to me.

b

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit