do you have a DPA?

by doogie 4 Replies latest jw friends

• doogie
    doogie

the Terri Schiavo (sp?) case got me thinking about this stuff. if i became incapacitated, i think all decisions would pass to my JW parents (i'm not married). can anyone verify that? that's a terrifying thought to me.

i should've probably paid better attention at all those blood card talks because i don't know much about DPAs. can anyone help me out? my questions are, where can i get one? what do i do with it after i fill it out? (i.e. does it have to be notorized? on file with an actual attorney?) i found a few forms online, but do they all constitue legally binding douments or is there specific verbiage that i should look for?

i know, these are a lot of questions here...basically, do you have one filled out? what did you do? if it helps, i'm in texas.

thanks for any help

• blondie
    blondie

You will need to fill one out for the state you currently live in for it to be valid.

There are forms online.

You don't need a lawyer in most cases but it can be helpful.

Talk to your doctor about what types of procedures are available and information on how they are administered to decide what you would accept and what you would not.

Thnk long and hard about who acts as your proxy and alternate proxy. It has to be someone who will support your wishes when you are unable to talk for yourself. Can they do this if their personal beliefs are different?

http://estate.findlaw.com/articles/2165.html

Love, Blondie

• doogie
    doogie

thanks for the info blondie.

Thnk long and hard about who acts as your proxy and alternate proxy. It has to be someone who will support your wishes when you are unable to talk for yourself. Can they do this if their personal beliefs are different?

yeah, that's exactly what i mean. all these people are fighting for Terri's life because they have certain convictions, but maybe there's nothing she would've wanted more than to just die.

• Forscher
    Forscher

Like almost anything else that is a legal document it would be best to see an attorney if you want to make up a Durable Power of Attorney (DPA). The form it has to take varies from state to state, so it is best to make sure that yours conforms to the statutory requirements of your state of residence. It would be worth the money to be sure that the document spells out exactly what you want in the event you are incapacitated.

• Golden Girl
    Golden Girl

Hubby (A JW) had one and we gave them several copies when he was Ill.

The Dr kept losing it. He would shove it in the back of the file.( They only look at the top page of your file usually)

The Hospital had to be reminded several times that he did not take blood.

You almost have to hang it on your bed post!!!

Snoozy....Also if family members are JW's..They might "Accidently lose it" if you want blood.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit