Could somebody help me with the right words.....

by Strawberryfieldsforever 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Strawberryfieldsforever
    Strawberryfieldsforever

Hello to all of you...

It's been a long time since I've posted here on the board. Life has been going well for my husband and me after leaving the JW's. After being with them for over 30 years (being raised with them) has been hard for us as we have struggled to become part of the word that they have condemned. We are trying to be part of our community and finding a whole new family of friends that are not JW's. My husband's parents have not been part of our lives since we left, nor my mother. It's been hard, but rewarding as well....

Things have taken a turn this past few months. My husband's father is dying of cancer and we have been to visit him a few times. It's been hard to be with a family that has turned their back on us for so many years. They have been OK about our visits, but we feel strange being there. What is bothering both of us is this: My husbands father keeps telling us that he is dying and wants us to do something now about the truth. He said he wants to see both of us in the resurrection and that we need to get on the ball...NOW! He said that it's not that hard to do......he said that it's not that far away and we have to try....to please try......What do we say to someone who is dying? How do we tell him that we don't want what he wants anymore without hurting his feelings? We have been so hurt by the religion and don't want any part of it anymore.....but do we get into it with someone who is dying on their deathbed? This is so hard for both of us. We just stood there with nothing to say...we don't want to upset him....but we also don't want to give him false hope either.......please help us to say the right thing......

Your friend, Strawberryfieldsforever

• Golf
    Golf

Greetings. Sorry to hear the news. What to say? Its easy to say, don't worry, we'll be there, just to give him some comfort. I guess trying to tap dance around a definite answer will be tough.

Your in the best position to understand the situation. I wish you all the best, your husband and his dad.

Golf

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

I'm sorry for your situation, but I honestly don't know what is right for you. Sometimes it does help you work through a solution if you have somewhere like this you can talk about it though.

I only know that when my grandmother was on her deathbed and made a similar plea, I answered I had heard that the elders in the congregation where I now lived (different town from her) were very nice and I told her I would go talk to them.

I made a promise I could easily keep without "selling my soul" and I brought a bright a happy sparkle to her eye and a certain peace to her final days.

I talked to said elders very briefly, nothing came of it and I'm still happily and freely me.

~Merry

• mouthy
    mouthy

I think I would say ..." Jehovah says he is examining our hearts. So Dad we will go back to truth....I would not let him ask when etc. Tell him you will do all in your power to be with him again in Paradise"

If you do believe in God. Your not lying,,,, You are going to go BACK to truth. Not their truth Gods.... GODS TRUTH!!! If you Dont believe in God. I dont know what you can do.... I am so sorry to hear your sad news. This is a heart breaker. Good luck,

• Been there
    Been there

I'm sorry for your pain.

You can tell him that you both love him, that you plan on seeing him again, and you will go back as soon as you are able to. He doesn't have to know that you will "NEVER BE ABLE TO"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit