Does anyone else do this?

by Sunnygal41 7 Replies latest jw experiences

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

Ever catch yourself thinking about a coworker, and noticing little quirks they have, like anything they do, they have to like announce it??? LOL! Yesterday, my coworker was doing a weekly hour balance for our drivers. She makes sure that everyone is within the company allotment, especially for OT. I sit with my back to her, since our desks are on opposite walls, and suddenly I heard her announce: "well, I did it." Then she proceeded to go thru every driver and announce how many hours each person had, and make a comment on why their hours were high. I find this fascinating and wonder what motivates a person to do this. Is it insecurity? Is it a need to be validated, or patted on the head, so to speak? I have other "quirky" examples..........lol..........feel free to share your observations of "humanness" around you. Ter

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Sunnygal - I don't do this but it does eff me off no end when other people do, but I kind of think that my annoyance is my problem - ie I am highly intolerant (not sure where I learnt that excellent quality - after all I was taught to love EVERYBODY and have been shown such love myself - NOT!).

When I come in to work I shut off and dont talk to anyone unless I have to, but other people just seem to talk for the sake of hearing their own voices and sometimes I have to go hit my head gently against the tiles in the bathroom just to get away from it or scream!

• Gill
    Gill

Control freakery is rooted in insecurity! There's a need to validate yourself and everyone else so comparison and 'control' is essential. Where everyone is exactly on the hierachical ladder has to be marked so that everyone can be treated as they ' deserve' not as equals.

Always be polite to these people and then ignore them. They're not worth the hastle of confrontation!

• talesin
    talesin

Quirky, yes. I'm thinking of customers in the pawn shop.

If I am talking on the phone, and a customer comes in, there is body language, head nod or a quick word to determine whether they want service/have a question, or are just browsing the electronics & jewellery.

There are some people, though, who refuse to make eye contact. They will look at stuff for a few moments, then turn and look expectantly in my direction. If I try to connect, they turn immediately back to the shelves. As if they are waiting for me to get off the phone.

So, I rush the customer on the phone, hang up, and address them "Hi, what can I do for you today?"

You know it. They routinely say "Oh, nothing, thanks", smile a little smile (or not) and immediately leave.

I think it's a need for attention, acknowledgement and/or control. On slow days, I've had lots of time to ponder and chuckle human behaviours, especially in this line of work.

They will also do this when I am eating my lunch, with a twist. Try to make conversation, not about business, just "how are you" "must be interesting working in a pawn shop", that type of thing. Then, when I start to look really stressed due to my blood sugar crashing so hard you can almost hear it, they innocently say "Oh, am I keeping you from your lunch?" I must admit, that does make me a bit cranky! hehe

t

laid off after Xmas class :(

• Wolfgirl
    Wolfgirl

For me, the need to one-up someone was what drove me to the edge with one of my coworkers. Anything you'd done, she'd done faster, better, and with more famous people. In her own mind, anyway. We used to make up complete BS stories to see if she'd try to one-up us on those. Naturally, she did, and we had our own private giggle. I think a lot of the "quirks" we see in other people (and ourselves) are due to insecurity.

• gumby
    gumby
    Is it insecurity

I agree with gill that insecurity is the reason for many. In order for some people to remember things, they feel they need to vocalize their work routines. I worked with a guy many years ago at safeway who did the frozen food section. At breaktime....he'd wanna tell you everything he did so far that day.... and everything he had left to do that day. He seemed obsessed with his tasks.

Perhaps it's many peoples way of keeping track of themselves.

Gumby

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

I think what you are referring to may be insecurity. For some, it may stem from a feeling of not being valued in the organization they work for. They may see what they do on a daily basis and think that no one realizes that they actually put in a full days work and that work has a distinct value that seems overlooked. Maybe they don't get the kind of recognition that others in the organization do or maybe none at all. So they feel they need to let others know (and maybe remind themselves too) that what they do is something too!

• forgetmenot
    forgetmenot

Hmm...I'm just thinking...sometimes I will let people know what I'm doing, kind of like what your coworker does, but my intention is to make myself open to criticism. For example, I am currently working on a business plan for a group project, but I am the only one working on the business plan in the group. But because it is a group project, I am under the impression everyone should contribute, so I let the group know my own musing, outline, etc. So that they can criticize or add to it. Is this different than what you have described?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit