Vines Suppository and the WT

by hamsterbait 7 Replies latest jw friends

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

The WT frequently quotes from "Vines Expository Dictionary." I heard recently that many of their interpretationsof the symbols of Revelation were lifted from that dictionary, and applied by Rutherfranz to any current events that could be made to fit.

e.g. the beasts.

Does anybody have a copy - can you verify this. It's an old book about 1906 I think.

HB

• minimus
    minimus

type it in google. yo'll get whatcha looking for.

• MAHABA
  • blondie
  • AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

I haven't heard that.

Vine's 'Suppository' (LOL) is only a dictionary of NT Greek words. It's not a book of interpretation or a commentary. However, Vine was Plymouth Brethren and believed in the invisible return of Christ, so that'll be one of the reasons the WTS quote from him a lot.

• blondie
    blondie

Might you be thinking of Adam Clarke's Commentary on Revelation?

http://www.godrules.net/library/clarke/clarkerev1.htm

• Scully
    Scully

hamsterbait writes:

Vines Suppository and the WT

Imagine if it was really a suppository and getting a chance to stick it up the WT's butt??

Love, Nurse Ratchett Scully (double gloved for Special? occasions)

• garybuss
    garybuss

Vine is listed in his biography as an opposer of Jehovah's Witnesses and he even held rallies in opposition. Randy Watters has a photo copy of the page from the book in his Thus Saith The Governing Body book I think.

Vine was a Christian pastor of a Church. He believed in hell, the trinity, and immortality of the soul. He represented all Witnesses hate. I am shocked they use his book. I can only reason the Witness writers didn't bother to check him out before borrowing so heavily from him.

I guess when you can tell people WHAT they HAVE to BELIEVE there is no real reason to check anything out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit