Call me slow, My Baptism Contract null and void.

by BrendaCloutier 9 Replies latest jw friends

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

I just realized how null and void my baptismal contract is.... I know, it's been tossed around here probably almost as long as this site has been functioning. I'm a little slow sometimes.

It's doesn't have to do with age, as my parents supported me, a minor, in my decision (made at 14 because it was what I was supposed to do to please my parents). It has to do with the dedication itself.

Taken from an earlier thread:

(1) Have you recognized yourself before Jehovah God as a sinner who needs salvation, and have you acknowledged to him that this salvation proceeds from him, the Father, through his Son Jesus Christ?

(2) On the basis of this faith in God and in his provision for salvation, have you dedicated yourself unreservedly to God to do his will henceforth as he reveals it to you through Jesus Christ and through the Bible under the enlightening power of the holy spirit?

The May 15, 1970 (p. 309) and May 1, 1973 (p. 280) issues printed slightly revised vows

These are essentially the vows I took upon baptism. Nowhere does it tell me, in any way, that I am dedicating myself to a publishing company run by a group of self-proclaimed mediators of Jesus Christ here on earth, who believe they have the power to override nay usurp God's devine redemption of mankind.

My contract is null and void with Jehovah's Witnesses because I was mislead as to what I was dedicating my life to. I now declare that by their own vows, and failure of proper contract disclosure, I am not, nor have I ever been one of Jehovah's Witnesses!

Man, what a relief!

However, I am still apostate to my religious upbringing. Oh well. Can't win 'em all. At least I'm in good company!

Bren

• Dustin
    Dustin

Hey, that means mine is null and void too. I was frickin 12 when I got baptized.

Dustin

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Dustin, it's not an age issue, especially if you have a parent or guardian who supported you in "your" decision.

For me it is a contract issue. The contract changed drastically in 1985.

The newest baptismal questions were set forth in the June 1, 1985 (p. 30) Watchtower:

(1) On the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will?

(2) Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah's Witnesses in association with God's spirit-directed organization?

• BrendaCloutier
  • jaffacake
    jaffacake

According to Matthew?s Gospel, Jesus Christ told his disciples to baptize persons ?in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit?. Peter and others called on people to ?repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus the Messiah for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.? People were baptized into Christianity in similar ways to this for 1,900 years. For more than 100 years the Watchtower followed this Scriptural example.

Watchtower

?A Christian cannot be baptized in the name of the one actually doing the immersing or in the name of any man, nor in the name of any organisation, but in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. This shows, amongst other things, that Christianity is not a denominational affair?.

Watchtower page 603

?We do not dedicate ourselves to a religion, nor to a man, nor to an organisation. No, we dedicate ourselves to the Supreme Sovereign of the Universe, our Creator, Jehovah God Himself. This makes dedication a very personal relationship between us and Jehovah.

Why were the questions changed (so called simplified) to remove ?the Holy Spirit? that Jesus Christ told his disciples to baptize in the name of. Instead, persons are asked to confirm their understanding that their dedication and baptism identifies them as one of Jehovah?s Witnesses in association with God?s spirit-directed organisation.

Is an earthly organisation led by fallible men now inserted into the ?intimate relationship with God?? I am genuinely troubled about how this subtle change sits with the Scriptural importance of God?s Holy Spirit:

1 Corinthians 1:13

?Was Paul crucified for you? Were you baptized into the name of Paul??

New light - JWs crucified for us!?

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

jaffacake. I thank you for your input.

I guess a better statement on my behalf, is that I was baptized as a Christian, by Jehovah's Witnesses, but not as one of Jehovahs Witnesses. I repented my birthright as a sinner, and deducated my life as a follower of Christ. I did not dedicate my life as a follower of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, as others have since 1985.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

If anything, WE should disfellowship THEM for violating the terms of OUR contract.

So there!!!

Nina

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

I think that's called a Neener3, Nina!

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    I guess a better statement on my behalf, is that I was baptized as a Christian, by Jehovah's Witnesses, but not as one of Jehovahs Witnesses. I repented my birthright as a sinner, and deducated my life as a follower of Christ. I did not dedicate my life as a follower of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, as others have since 1985.

Brenda - I was baptized in the early 70's - I was an adult. But I have always viewed my baptism as a contract with God and Christ. I have in the past year or more left the corruption of the JW religion behind now, but keep my pledge to God alive as a Christian. I know this is not the way the WTS looks at it - but they are entirely unimportant in the matter to me.

BTW - I enjoy your posts. May God bless.

Jeff

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

AK-Jeff. I think I'm now coming around to that with this thread and the wonderful post from Jaffecake. I have felt more spirituality and "connection" since leaving the bOrganziation than I ever felt while "in". I feel that the bOrganization stiffled and even squashed that connection, and anyone's interest in the connection, holding it only for "themselves".

I see that my thread has brought up other issues for other people. Good. To think. To question. This is very good. And something we were not allowed to do openly.

JWD Has had me thinking. (Oops, there she goes again!). I've broken down and begun to rebuild my belief structure, realizing there are many elements to it that I am keeping because to me they are very valid, very real. There are some I have disposed of because I no longer need them, and they no longer "fit".

My beliefs extend beyond "Christian" and encompass Native American and Buddhist understandings. But then, Jesus was not destroying Judaism, he only simplified it and opened it up for the Gentile. He offered us all - Jew and Gentile - devine redemption for our birthright of sin. To follow Him is to act in love.

Hugs and open thinking to all of you!

Brenda

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit