Has anyone read the book "Secrets of Sinai"? What did you think?

by ithinkisee 2 Replies latest watchtower bible

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

Link to the book:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0385232977/

Not sure what to make of this book. In some ways the author provides pretty conclusive evidence of early manipulation of the scriptures - being that the Codex Sinaiticus is one of the oldest early bible manuscripts available.

On the other hand, he seems to hold the scriptures - and even Tischendorf - in high regard.

Thoughts?

-ithinkisee

• Spook
    Spook

I haven't read it. I'll have to check it out. If you're interested, the books

Bible Prophecy - Failure of Fulfilment?

and

The Secret Origins of the Bible

Both by Tim Calahan, are excellent books written on a layman's level. They are fairly recent. There is also some new scholarship (last two years) on the academic level that is starting to filter into books. Namely, recent Jerusalem archaeology has unearthed some new contradictions regarding the historicity of the bible.

Ben

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I have not read this book. But I recall that the Codex Sinaiticus had gone through many different scribal "corrections", through several different hands.

I wish I knew more....I might be wrong, but were many of those changes due to influence from the Western text? That was the text of most of the church fathers (aside from the Alexandrian ones) and was in the East the basis of Tatian's Diatessaron, which also exerted an influence on the canonical gospel texts.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit