question about 4th edition of CoC

by Goldminer 3 Replies latest jw friends

• Goldminer
    Goldminer

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone here has read the 4th edition(2002) of crisis of conscience.I am very curious to know if there is a new chapter on the UN scandal.I have the 3rd edition(1999) and there is nothing on that subject in it.

Thank you,

Goldminer

• fairchild
    fairchild

I have the 4th edition, not quite finished reading it yet, I'm on page 265.

Those are the chapters listed in the 4th edition..

1. price of conscience

2. credentials and cause

3. governing body

4. internal upheaval and restructure

5. tradition and legalism

6. double standards

7. predictions and presumptions

8. justification and intimidation

9. 1975 the appropriate time for God to act

10. 1914 and this generation

11. point of decision

12. aftermath

13. perspective

appendix

index

ps. The UN is mentioned in the chapter 'double standards'

• loveis
    loveis

The "Double Standards" chapter evidently does mention the UN thing briefly.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Chaper 6: Double Standards

Pages 170-171

"...Recent information has come to light at regards the Watch Tower Society's affiliation with the United Nations through its Department of Public Information, doing so as a 'Non-Governmental Organization [or NGO].' This was done in 1991 and only when it became publicly known and produced adverse reaction did the organization, in October 2001 request that its association be withdrawn. See below:'

My comment: Next appears a copy of the letter from Paul Hoeffel, Chief NGO Section, Dept. of Public Information supplying that information.

"In a report in the British newspaper The Guardian, Paul Gillies, acting as spokesman for the Watch Tower's London Branch Office, is quoted as saying: "We do not have hostile attitudes to governing bodies and if we are making representations on issues to the UN we will do so...There are good and bad bodies just as there are good and bad politicians. We believe what the Book of Revelation tells us but we do not actively try to change the political system.'

"His reference to the Book of Revelation was evidently due to the fact that Watch Tower pblications have, since 1942, identified the League of Nations and its successor, the United Nations, with the scarlet-colored wild beast, upon which the harlot Babylon the Great is depicted as riding (See Revelation 16:3-6.) It says of it: 'The UN is actually a blasphemous counterfeit of God's Messianic Kingdom by the Prince of Peace, Jesus Christ.'

My comment: Next appears page 247 of the book Revelation--Its Grand Climax at Hand.

"Thus, the mental outlook that prevailed in the cases cited within this chapter continued. Seen against the background of the organization's stance regarding Malawi and the issue of alternative service, this assocation with what the Watch Tower Society deems 'a blasphemous counterfeit of God's Messianic Kingdom' betrays a seriously warped concept of Christian integrity and conscience."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit