Is there evidence showing that Gentiles who held government jobs resigned?

by truthseeker 4 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

The Bible does not say whether Cornelius, the first gentile, resigned his position as army officer.

Did the judge who heard Paul speak in the areopagus stand down? I'm sure being a judge back then would have involved some act of worship to Caesar.

What about Nicodemus? While he was a secret believer, he still was a member of the Sanhedrin.

If these ones found favour with God, why does the WTS make big issues of running for office?

• AGuest
    AGuest

May you have peace!

I would like to offer you the following "truths," if you will permit me:

The Bible does not say whether Cornelius, the first gentile, resigned his position as army officer.

Couple things about Cornelius that the WTBTS does not teach:

1. Cornelius was an Israelite by means of being a Samaritan (from the 10-tribe kingdom of Israel, who relocated to and dwelled in Samaria), versus a Jew (from the 2-tribe kingdom of Judah/Benjamin, who dwelled in Judea). To Jews, all who are not of the 2-tribe kingdom are "gentiles," including those from the other 10 tribes of Israel.

2. Cornelius was the first of those "in all Samaria" to whom the 12 were sent... and he did not have to resign his post. This was because, contrary to WTBTS false teachings, there was no "law" against military service, other than what John the Baptist reiterated at Luke 3:14:

"Also, those in military service would ask him: 'What shall we also do?' And he said to them: 'Do not harass anybody or accuse anybody falsely, but be satisfied with your provisions.'"

Thus, my Lord himself did not condemn the Army Officer who came to him for help when his own servant became ill, but fullfilled the man's request due to the man's FAITH.

Does that mean it's "okay" to join the military? Yes... and no. One can certainly join and be a part of the military; one just needs to remember that "he who lives by the sword, will die by the sword." So long as such one knows this... and enters with eyes wide open... one is not condemned.

Did the judge who heard Paul speak in the areopagus stand down? I'm sure being a judge back then would have involved some act of worship to Caesar.

Being a judge did not have to include worship of Caesar. Joseph was second only to Pharaoh and all who wanted to received from Pharaoh, be it food or judgment, had to go through Joseph; yet, JAH was the God of Joseph and it was He alone that Joseph worshipped. Daniel was third after Nebuchanezzar; yet, JAH alone was his God, and was Nebuchanezzar's after some point.

One can serve one's people... and still serve JAH... for do not the "superior authorities" stand placed in the relative position by JAH? The issue is whether such one can serve with honesty, integrity... and love... even for one's enemies. Most... cannot.

What about Nicodemus? While he was a secret believer, he still was a member of the Sanhedrin.

And my Lord did not condemn him... or turn him away.

If these ones found favour with God, why does the WTS make big issues of running for office?

Well, there are two issues here, actually: (1) "running" for office, and (2) why the WTBTS makes a big deal of it. Taking the latter first, the WTBTS is an organization that exists in fear... teaches fear... sells fear... and perpetuates fear. They do this because they do not truly know my Lord... or his love. If they did, they would have NO fear... nor would they teach it... for they wouldn't even know it. This is because LOVE... casts ALL fear... outside. Love... is in the Light... and fear... is "outside," in the darkness.

Thus, if one is truly in union with Christ, then one has nothing TO fear, for one would know to carry out whatever vocation they have, be it in public service or not, with honor and glorification of that One. They would honor him in ALL that they did, including their work. Being a public servant, then, can be done with honor and integrity, and has been done, by many who have been placed in such positions by God Himself, through Christ.

The PROBLEM arises, however, when one "runs" for office, for such is usually based on a platform of promises and assurances that cannot be kept. In essense, one's "yes"... cannot always be "yes." Many, indeed most, will say whatever and make whatever promises they need to... in order to be elected. Thus, if the people are "for" something, the candidate will almost always say that he or she is also "for" that issue, but simply in order to win votes. Come election and installation, they almost always fail to keep such word/promise(s). Why? Because most of them couldn't have been kept from the beginning anyway!

So what? So, a true servant of God, through Christ, would not make promises they cannot... will not... or have no intention of keeping. Why? Because such is... deceitful. And deceit... is a form of hypocrisy. And hypocrisy... is a form of blasphemy.

But what if one intends to keep such promises, make such changes, etc.? We need to be honest here: one should know whether one can keep one's promise before one makes it... and endeavor, at all costs, to fulfill it after making it, if at all possible. To make a promise without being absolutely sure, absent something totally beyond one's control, is, again, deceitful: one makes it without truly knowing whether one can fulfill it. Thus, intent is suspect, for all promises should be made with the assurance that one can fulfill, again, absent unforeseen circumstances.

So, should one run for office? Truly, it is better if one is APPOINTED to an office, for such one undertakes great responsibility, based not on his own self-perceived merits but on the merits of what others believe him to be and be capable of doing. Such one is placed in a position, rather than placing oneself in it.

However, IFone runs... one should "count the cost" before doing so, truly weighing what it is that one must promise to do in order to get elected, against what one can do, given the influence of his/her constituency, colleagues, opponents, laws, culture, values/morals, etc.

For regardless of what one may vow to man, one will be accountable to pay to JAH whatever he/she vows to JAH. And many... indeed most... "run"... more on the "fuel" of promises made to God, than to voters.

I hope this is of help to you in your search and that you find what you are looking for, truth. In the meantime, if I may I'd like to you tell you of a much easier way to find truth,and that is to simply go to the Truth. Let HIM lead you, guide you and recall to your mind and heart ALL things.

John 14:6

Again, I bid you peace... and ears to hear.

A slave of Christ,

SJ

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

AGuest

Thank you for the time and effort you put into this post. It was refreshing indeed, and I see the issues much more clearly now.

Truthseeker

• gumby
    gumby
    "he who lives by the sword, will die by the sword."

Hi Shelby....and a big mornin hug to you with a hot cup of coffee

Since those who live by the sword will die by it......when is Jehovah gonna get ran through with a sword? He killed more cannanites by the hand of the Israelites than any war hero who ever lived.

As for government service.....read about Lot who was carekeeper of the city gate. Read how Daniel and Joseph held government jobs. There is NO scriptural evidence government or military service was condemmed in the bible.

Gumby

• Jaypeeto
    Jaypeeto

Erastus, the city treasurer of Corinth, was a member of the Church, and he apparently didn't resign from his government job. There is no scriptural support for the WT's position. Best, Jaypeeto

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit