Were you sought after or did you search for the truth?

by truthseeker 4 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

For those of you who "came into the truth", how did it happen?

Were you seeking to find God, troubled with your own religion or suicidal? Did you pray that someone would teach you the truth about God and his purpose for mankind?

Or were you sought out, that is did some witnesses call at your home and recruit you?

• holly
    holly

Im not a jw and never have been. i studied bec i was looking for the truth. i still am........

holly

• Honesty
    Honesty

My best friend of 30 years had been raised in the troof but left to join the military. Anyway, he started going back to the KH and asked me to go with him. The rest is a typical tale of WT tactics. I DA'd and he and his whole family treat me like I am the bubonic plague. Oh well, I have better real friends now.

• heart2heart
    heart2heart
    Were you seeking to find God, troubled with your own religion or suicidal? Did you pray that someone would teach you the truth about God and his purpose for mankind?

I was very young (14) and always looking for the deep answers to life's questions, and felt that the Catholic school and church that I was raised in were very hypocritical in their teachings, contradicting the Bible which they claimed to believe. I was vulnerable and impressionable, I didn't know any better. Here come these people who have all the answers, right? I really felt like I had found what I was searching for. It took 9 years to burst that bubble. I still have questions, but at least I know now that manmade doctrines are not the place to look for answers. I am content to not know all the answers. What the WT teaches (the "behind-the-scene" kind of things you see only after you've been fully indoctrinated) is completely against my nature (shunning, everyone who's not JW is going to die, etc), and I wonder how I lasted 9 years without listening to my instincts.

Heart2Heart

• Will Power
    Will Power

((( H2H ))) - at least it wasn't 9 years and 1 day.

and....they say the average time to come out of a cult (if at all) is 10 years!

and... your family is still in tact.

When I started to search for truth in the truth, I refused to follow the "system". I read publications out of order, on my own, no highlighting, no rules, no elders and the big thing - with a regular bible, the library, the internet and lots of cigarettes.

Now I don't need to smoke anymore and I know there is no truth in the troof. I thank my catholic upbringing actually, it taught me critical thinking, and the concept of love, but most of all NOT TO BE AFRAID of a good question, in fact the better the question, the better the study !!!

When I see grown adults supposedly the most bible trained and experienced - spiritually rehearsed - literally running from a thought provoking question - I know where I do NOT want to be.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit