Seeing and not seeing

by wasasister 3 Replies latest jw friends

• wasasister
    wasasister

This thought occurred to me when I was responding to the “Governing Body Divided” thread begun by Maximus. Many respondents were speculating on possible intrigue between factions of the writing or service committees, and whether or not they were (in essence) planting hidden messages for each other, or for alert Dubs on the outside. It seemed very much like the “hidden pictures” brouhaha of several years ago. Of course, the Society denied any hidden images existed, but most who observed them closely maintained they were deliberate.

It reminded me of those mosaic-looking pictures with a hidden three-dimensional image popular a few years ago. When they first arrived on the pop-culture scene, one could observe a group of people in a mall, standing in front of a display window, staring in various stages of discovery. “Oh! I see it now!” or “I don’t see it yet.” Or “Honey, cross your eyes more.” Some people tried and tried, but just could not see it. (My ex-husband was one of them.) I often wondered if it was an ocular or mental difference between those who saw and those who did not. Sometimes, you would start to see it…almost…and then lose it again in the confusion of colors.

Perhaps the perception of contradictions in the WT literature is like this. Some JW’s see it right away; others almost see it, then blink, shake their heads and lose it; still more will never see it, no matter how you try to point it out.

Some of that last category are no doubt writing articles. If you could teleport one of them into your living room, you would try to reason as follows:

You: Brother, do you see the glaring double standard in the paragraph you wrote?

Writer: How could you possibly know I wrote that?

You: You’ve just been teleported to my living room, and you question how I know this?

Writer: Point taken. Well, I was looking through the archives, trying to find something encouraging for the brothers.

You: And you thought the story of Cyril Lucaris would encourage them?

Writer: Well, yes…you see he was faithful to the Word of God in the face of opposition, just like Jehovah’s people today.

You: But, Brother, you condemned the Church for being “ecclesiastical” and discouraging access to the scriptures by the common believer. Do you not see any parallel in this today?

Writer: Certainly I do! The clergy of Christendom do this today! You got the point I was trying to make!!!

You: Could not the same thing be said of the Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses? Do they not claim the scriptures cannot be understood without the aid of their publications?

Writer: Not as such, but in effect that is true. The Ethiopian needed help from Philip to understand what was written. It is not the same as Christendom. The Governing Body is Spirit Directed. They have the REAL Truth. This is the Truth the False Religions want to keep from us.

You: Try crossing your eyes.

• Seeker
    Seeker

I suspect you are right, was. I know that is how I was back in the day. I was seeing but not seeing. Every time a cognitive dissonant thought entered my head I would quickly push it out and retranslate the thought into something acceptable. I could have had that same conversation with you as that hypothetical WT writer. Given time, I could have BEEN one of those writers, a scary thought in itself.

I'm sure some insiders know better, but I'll bet the majority have allowed themselves to be blind to the problems.

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

WOW wassa that's a great way of putting, I think your right!!!

Ven

"The best way to convince a fool that he is wrong, is to let him have his own way."---Josh Billings

• GinnyTosken
    GinnyTosken

Wasasister,

Your post reminds me of the article CPiolo shared recently, "Why Bad Beliefs Don't Die."

http://www.csicop.org/si/2000-11/beliefs.html

It's odd to think that we essentially blind ourselves so we can feel safe:

This means that even seemingly small, inconsequential beliefs can be as integral to the brain's experience of survival as are beliefs that are "obviously" connected to survival. Thus, trying to change any belief, no matter how small or silly it may seem, can produce ripple effects through the entire system and ultimately threaten the brain's experience of survival. This is why people are so often driven to defend even seemingly small or tangential beliefs. A creationist cannot tolerate believing in the accuracy of data indicating the reality of evolution not because of the accuracy or inaccuracy of the data itself, but because changing even one belief related to matters of the Bible and the nature of creation will crack an entire system of belief, a fundamental worldview and, ultimately, their brain's experience of survival.

Examining my religious beliefs took more courage than anything else I've ever done in my life. The process was painful and frightening. If I valued honesty, I had to be willing to face harsh facts, even when I would have preferred to turn away in horror and sadness. I had to be willing to follow logical conclusions no matter where they led. There was no guarantee of paradise at the end of my odyssey.

I think it's as Carl Jung says, "Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart."

Ginny

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit