Watched by god VS. Watched by Cameras

by Elsewhere 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Growing up I never *really* believed in "god" and I assumed that everyone else was the same. I thought people just pretended to believe because it was just expected of them. For me going to a religious meeting was like going to the movies... while there everyone "believed" what was going on but when "the lights went up" and everyone left, they all knew that it was all just pretend.

For me, evidence of this was the way people behaved when they knew they were being watched by a camera and when they were not. Everyone was very careful not to do anything wrong while the camera was watching, but no one was really careful when "god" was watching, which is supposed to be all of the time.

• Boys and girls would be "naughty" when god was watching (they were alone together)...
    • People would hang out and get drunk when god was watching (no authority figures around)...
    • People would swear and curse when god was watching (when "cool" people were around)...

But they never did these things when they knew they were being watched by a camera.

Sometimes I still wonder if people really believe in all of the "god" stuff they talk about.

What are your thoughts on this?

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I felt "The Truman Show" was thought provoking

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I love that show! I saw my JW experience in it!

• Maxine Mouse
    Maxine Mouse

I guess I believed in god when I was little, but then again I believed in Santa Claus too. I didnt grow up in a very religious household. As I got older, I started having a very hard time with blind faith and even though I tried praying, I always felt like I was putting on an act. As an adult, I saw people (to numerous to mention and different religions), who went to church every Sunday and were "christians", who were worse than any heathens or non believers I had ever met. But it was ok and all was forgiven, because they went to church and made amends. What a crock of crap! So I do wonder if they really believe in god. If they do, its damn sure not the version I would believe in.

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee
    I felt "The Truman Show" was thought provoking

I felt the same way. Sometimes I feel like when I finally say "I'm done with this" people are suddenly going to go. . ."Man, I was wondering how long you were gonna last in that little religion experiment we put you through." Argh. . .if it was only that simple. -ithinkisee

• Carmel
    Carmel

Well if you believe in the biblical judgemental god, then your observations do point out the hypocracy of most people claiming to "believe". But if you believe in a diffent god that doesn't hold every misque against you for eternity, then its easy to be yourself, but take yourself to account each day knowing its the first day of the rest of your life. Shame is a human construct that is a healthy sideboard to life, but it should not be the dominating paradigm that motivates one.

carmel

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

bttt...

I'm hoping for more thoughts on this.

• Heatmiser
    Heatmiser

The only thing I do different on camera is I "might" scratch my ass a little less.....lol.

I think the opening post you made was hard to elaborate on because you made your point so well.

Heatmiser

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit