What's With the "Tattle Tale" Mentality?

by beebee 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• beebee
    beebee

Admittedly I'm an outsider but I do not get why Witnesses feel so darn compelled to "tattle" on each other?

I do remember my friend telling me (as justification for the shunning) that when a Witness is baptised, they understand that they are accepted into a special society that requires a commitment to the "rules." She went on to say that those that don't follow the rules are well aware of the consequences.

Okay, so I accept that thought (barring the whole discussion of baptising children who don't necessarily get it), but still, why the need to tattle on those that break the rules? What compels each individual to mind everyone else's business, especially given that it is highly likely that FEW individuals are perfect in their observance of the rules or the way they live their lives. Beyond the "Who will cast the first stone," do they get some satisfaction in meddling and causing other people problems?

I worked to teach my children to work with each other and NOT tattle on each other or other friends. So why is something that most parents won't tolerate in a five year old okay for adults?

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

I agree with the bit about nobody being perfect. I once baptised a guy who was a recovering alcohloic who had little money was still struggling with smoking , he swore all the time and wasn't the cleanest person. I worked to get to know him and I learnt a big lesson in the time we had together about what was really important. I was gutted when a few members turned their noses up and said that we shouldn't be baptising people who clearly couldn't keep the commandments. I was ballistic and felt like I should kick their royal heinies but I contented myself by asking if anyone in that room had kept all their baptismal promises 100% since baptism - yea that showed them.

• Odrade
    Odrade

I know this doesn't answer the question, but in one of the recent Awake! magazines (Jan 22, 2005 -- about doctors) the YPA article reinforces the "tattle-tale" mentality.

quote:

If a reasonable amount of time has passed and he hasn't talked to anyone, you may have to talk to someone for him.

Interestingly, there is no mention of getting proof for your allegations before running to tattle. The preceding paragraph is about if you suspect or "fear" your friend is "drifting away from Jehovah's moral standards." They make the tattling as proof that you are a true friend.

Very typical.

• beebee
    beebee

To me it seems to reinforce the belief that this is an "organization of man's creation," and not a devine group when human's are told to do what most believer's in G-d believe is his job. I was raised to believe that G-d sees and knows all, thus there is no hiding our indiscretions. Why would a human need to tell on another person what "He" already knows?

Add to this that the Witnesses talk about "answering to Jehovah" instead of man's laws - ie. not informing authorities of, and punishing individuals that do report, rapes, child abuse, etc.

What a blatant contradiction.

Is ratting someone out rewarded with some sort of recognition or is this driven the same way childhood tattling is - with a temporary "favored child" status?

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Children "Tattle Tale" because they want to please an authority figure.

I believe that the "Tattle Tale" mentality is JWs is a result of the way JWs tend to regress into a child-like emotional and intellectual state. The WTS describes itself as a "mother" to JWs and the JWs respond accordingly... they become "children" who want to please their mother by telling on as many people as possible.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

There was a Watchtower article (the Watchtower magazine is the official voice of the Governing Body of JW's) that actually told Witnesses that they were obligated to reveal information about JW's that have broken the rules, even if it is a breach of professional or legal ethics to do so. The example cited was of a JW working in a medical center that becomes aware of another JW that had a secret abortion. Even though it would be illegal for her to tell someone about the private medical records she saw, she was still obligated to report it to the elders.

How sick is that?

Dave

• M.J.
    M.J.

Also,

In November of 1985, the Watchtower warned its readers of "sharing in the sins of others." How might they do this? By failing to tell the elders of a fellow brother or sister who is a "wrongdoer." Since being a "wrongdoer" includes disagreeing with the Watchtower, members are encouraged to tattle on friends and relatives who hold to any variation from Watchtower doctrine. If they don't, then they share in the "apostate's" sin. (WT Nov. 15, 1985, p. 19,20)

This is from: http://www.freeminds.org/psych/disfell.htm

It's all about CONTROL!

This is a common control technique used in mind controlling cults. Everyone has their eye on everyone else.

"Big Mother" is watching!

• TheEdge
    TheEdge
    Interestingly, there is no mention of getting proof for your allegations before running to tattle

I think the ''2 Witness'' rule is applied when it is beneficial to do so - in my PERSONAL experience, an untrue rumour was acted upon.

• HoChiMin
    HoChiMin

It?s the ?if I have to, so do you? mentality. JW life is constant peer pressure and if someone is slacking and not keeping up the appearance of being a good JW than you will be turned in to the elders. Most Dubs want to shed that feeling of a rancid set of eyes constantly on their back. It?s nearly impossible to do that without raising a flag somewhere and bringing down the wrath of a weak-minded sniveler that hates their life as a JW. They will sing like a prison bird for a hint at self-gratification because of your demise. Hence the circle of excrement continues.

HCM

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit