I am new here also. My story is like many others.

by drahcir yarrum 7 Replies latest jw experiences

• drahcir yarrum
    drahcir yarrum

My parents became JW's when I was about 2 years old. I only had one Christmas and I don't remember it that well. My father was a chiropractor (strike 2) and worked his ass off and my mother became the religious leader of the family. She herded all 5 of us to the meetings until we were in our teens. While my dad was a true believer, he didn't attend meetings or go out in service regularly.

Growing up a witness was a living hell. Especially as a teenager. No sports, dances, dating, holidays or fun. Just meetings, school work, door to door work and masturbation. Glad to say I no longer do most of those things.

After high school the choices were, go to Viet Nam, prison, work in a hospital as a conscientious objector or "pioneer" (UGH!) I cowardly chose the latter.

I didn't last long as a pioneer because there weren't that many laundromats in my town to leave Watchtowers and Awakes in. Sometimes the older women pioneers would poach in my laundromats leaving older issues. I would go in behind them and replace them with new issues.

When I realized that I could no longer stand pioneering, wasn't getting laid and still didn't want to go to prison I decided to go to Bethel. What's a four year committment when your life is hell anyway?

When I arrived at Bethel I realized that pioneering was a walk in the park. New York stunk, was too cold in the winter, too hot in the summer and you can't live there on $14.00 a month. There was not a sign of Christianity at Bethel and there appeared to be rampant homosexuality, self-righteousness and hypocrisy. After two years I had to leave. Basically I needed to get laid and the only way to do so without gettng disfellowshipped was to marry some dim witted Witness girl. Boy did I strike gold!

After 11 years of marriage, she took up with an older pot smoking man she worked with, broke up our family (2 kids) and remarried within a month of our divorce. THIS, MY FRIENDS WAS THE FIRST REALLY GOOD THING I CAN REMEMBER ABOUT MY LIFE UP TO THAT POINT.

Since then, I remarried a wonderful NON-WITNESS girl, have three great NON-WITNESS children, finished college, earned a graduate degree in business and have been living the good life. I'm not particularly religious, but do attend a Presbyterian church because my kids enjoy Sunday school with their friends from school and attending church pleases my wife.

By the way, reading Ray Franz book "Crisis of Conscience" in 1984 was the act that opened my eyes to the contemptable nature of the Witness organization. Thank you Ray whereever you are!

• Nicolas
    Nicolas

I'm glad to see that you didn't have too many problems with the org, when you goes out. By the way, I heard a lot of things about the book of Raymond Franz, I thing I'll buy it me too.

• outnfree
    outnfree

Welcome, Murray? Richard?

I saw you earlier in chat, but didn't have time to stop in.

Your story was well written and brought a rueful smile to my face.
    I am glad that you are now happy and have a lovely wife and children.

I'm sure the other ex-Bethelites here will love to swap stories.

outnfree
    (Brenda)
    edited for the wink!

• drahcir yarrum
    drahcir yarrum

Thanks for the comment Brenda. I couldn't help notice that you figured out my name. Does that mean it's possible that the GB has also figured it out. Oh my!

LOL

Thanks again,

Richard

• think41self
    think41self

Hi and welcome to the board

I had to laugh at the humorous way you told of your painful experiences. I too was raised in it, and have only been out a couple of years. I am glad your former wife did you the favor she did and that your kids are getting the chance at a normal childhood! To me, that is the greatest victory an exJW can accomplish!

I too enjoyed Ray's book, and I am also thoroughly enjoying this board, lot's of good people here. Stick around buddy.

Tracy

• Prisca
    Prisca

Welcome to the board, Richard(?). I too was raised in the Borg, and can relate to many parts of your story, though I never pioneered. Thank goodness I got out before I wasted too much of my life!

• individuals wife
    individuals wife

Nice to have met you in the chat room yesterday! I'm glad you are living 'the good life now'. Sounds like Bethel was great fun... 8>

I would have to agree that the Crisis of Conscience book is a bit of an eyeopener - wish I'd read it earlier! Could have been doing something much more useful with my time instead of pioneering!

• individuals wife
    individuals wife

Sorry - not 8> ... meant to be [8>]!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit