Jesus's Second Coming - 25 Dec 2001?

by individuals wife 4 Replies latest jw friends

• individuals wife
    individuals wife

Has anyone else come across this bit of extraordinary reporting? Just think of the implications of it all!!

Second Coming Group Wants To Clone Jesus

NEW YORK, NY (MCNS) -- A secretive group called the Second Coming Project, apparently foreseeing Jesus's second coming using modern technology, intends to one day clone him.

Fox News reports that the 13 member alliance wants to obtain a small DNA sample from one of the historic artifacts that some people trace to Christ's body, maybe the Shroud of Turin. The resulting cloned fetus would then be placed in a female's womb.

"I am hoping it will bring world peace," said one source within the group. "Not some Armageddon as a tremendous battle where everyone dies, as some people believe."

The mother would not have to be a virgin, but it would be an immaculate conception. December 25, 2001 has been chosen as the day the cloned baby would be born, Fox reported.

The infant will appear like any other baby. He would not be raised in a laboratory nor would he be inculcated with beliefs, said the group's spokesperson.

"If this child is what we hope he is, he will not need to be raised that way," the spokesperson added.

Questions surround the historic artifacts from which DNA would have to be taken, perhaps a sample of blood or a hair. The authenticity of most of these relics, including the Shroud of Turin, has been challenged by scholars. Also, it is not known if 2,000-year-old DNA samples can be cloned.

"Any damage to the DNA would likely result in damaged, deformed or just non-starting cloning material," Biologist Arthur Caplan, director the Center for Bioethics at the University of Pennsylvania, told Fox.

Aside from the many scientific problems, established religious groups do not buy the idea. Bill Merrell, vice president of convention relations for the Southern Baptist Convention, told Fox the project is "the height of foolhardiness," "the highest silliness in the category of neither science nor religion" and "perfectly reprehensible."

Maranatha Christian News Service

(Post date: October 13, 2000)
    ------------------------------------------------------------

This could certainly raise some interesting questions - if they managed to pull it off which religion would this child choose to follow? Would he be perfect? What sort of upbringing could the poor lad expect? How do you live with the fact that you are cloned from the supposed son of God? And as for the date of birth, well, they are going to have to do a little bit of revising there, running out of time a bit now! And I wonder if he would look like the representation of himself in the WT publications?!

By the way the Second Coming Project has asked for donations to help them in this work - who's going to be the first to stick their hand in their pocket then?

• Francois
    Francois

I wouldn't give them a farthing.

I sincerely doubt there's any DNA on the Shroud of Turin, which has been proved to be no older than something around 700-900 years. The image doesn't seem to be the result of contact with a body. Seems as I remember it's considered to be an elaborate fraud. Wouldn't be the first.

Even if there was DNA. Even if the DNA was that of the historical Jesus, cloning might produce a physical likeness of the corporeal body of Christ, but his power, his spirituality had nothing to do with the body in which he was housed. Spirit beings don't seem to need a corporeal body in which to act. And the personality which would be developed wouldn't, couldn't, be that of Jesus; Jesus is elsewhere, is taken - by Jesus himself. Not only that, but the possibility of cloning a functional human hasn't been proven. It might not work. A sheep is not a human.

IMO this is an absurd idea based on little, if anything, that even resembles actual thinking.

Francois

Where it is a duty to worship the Sun you can be sure that a study of the laws of heat is a crime.

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

What "other sources" of DNA are they talking about?
    Makes for a pretty good movie, considering recent successes at the box office.
    Neat story, but if this project were true, they wouldn't go public with it until the birth had already happened. They also wouldn't tell the surrogate mother what was going on, it would have to be done secretly through agents working at a medical facility.
    There would also have to be more than one surrogate mother to allow for miscarriage and whatever else.
    Come to think of it, it would be unwise to go public after the birth since the child would be placed in danger, or at the very least wouldn't have much of a normal childhood.
    mike.

"Well done, Blind Squirrel! You've found an impressive nut!

• Introspection
    Introspection

What did they get the idea from Star Trek??? "Kahless, the greatest warrior of them all!" http://www.startrek.com/library/episodes_TNG_detail.asp?id=68604

"Knowing others is wisdom. Knowing the self is insight. Mastering others requires force. Mastering the self requires true strength." -Tao Te Ching, Chapter 33

• MuzicmanCa
    MuzicmanCa

Well, for me, I have to hand to these guys for originality, even though it won't work with small details in the way, i.e. where to get the DNA. It certainly won't be from the Shroud of Turin, that thing has already been discredited...makes for interesting reading though.

Muzicman

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit