did being a witness make you arrogant at school/work?

by Crumpet 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I think that one of the lack of social skills the JWs kindly invested me with was an acute sense of arrogance of being better than the rest.

This made me a very disruptive class member as I would twist my parents twist on the religion to make ridiculous points - which i did enjoy!

After studying the new (at the time) school brochure about extra-curricular activities the whole english class got dentention of ten minutes at schools out and the way my heart pumped as I packed up my stuff and made to leave. The teacher yelled at me - what did I think I was doing? My calm reply in front of the glass was that I had been told not to indulge in extra-curricular activites adding snidley that my parents would be very angry if I remained behind with a male teacher as that opened me up to sexual abuse. LOL! then i left!

I felt sorry for that poor teacher! And it helped that I got loads of respect from my school mates for doing that!

And finally I did count 5 minutes time on my report sheet for witnessing! hehehehe

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

I feel shitty about the way I treated all my 'worldly' 'acquaintances' at work while I was still a dubbie. I always kind of thought that I was better than them ; that I was in on some secret that they just couldn't get or something, lol. I would blow them off when they kindly asked me to do things after work, like watch a hockey game or have a couple beers or something.

How brainwashed was I? Embarrassing.

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

I have to start with the caveat that I was never officially a JW though I was raised in the faith. No, I was quite the opposite, I went to great pains to never, ever reveal the religion of my parents if I didn't have to, and when I had to I said as little as I could get away with.

That being said I did know the type, both as children and adults. The arrogance of the borg was one of the things that kept me from ever embracing it. And the condencending attitudes of some of the barely literate elders towards "worldly" people who were shall we say, just a tad brighter than they were was just amazing to me. My brother in law is a prototype arrogant elder that is quite vocal in his superiority and the "foolishness" of those that to not allow themselves to be assimilated. I constantly waffle between pity for him and wanting to throttle him when forced to be in the same room.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    I feel shitty about the way I treated all my 'worldly' 'acquaintances' at work while I was still a dubbie

Ditto. I would try to be nice, but when you're the untainted Christian and they're the heathen to soon be spread as manure on the ground, how much respect can you garner for them?

Such exquisite arrogance.

Dave

• Mulan
    Mulan

Having gone to school in the 50's and 60's, I never had a problem. Things were MUCH different for JW kids in those days. Some were class officers, cheerleaders and star athletes, and many were really popular kids. No biggie being a dub.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

i never was arrogant i dont think.. but my ex was/is..

he would self righteously preach to anyone at work for cussing or talking bad about their wives while at home he never said a single cuss word..............it was ALWAYS a LONG string of cuss words..

wait.thats a hypocrit story. hehe

i've seen him debate religion with people and the other person would quote scripture and make a good case for their beliefs and all he' d do is shake his head and demand the person believe he was right.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet
    i've seen him debate religion with people and the other person would quote scripture and make a good case for their beliefs and all he' d do is shake his head and demand the person believe he was right.

Candidlynuts - your ex sounds like my father! I love him dearly, but he would have this superior (I know something you dont know your poor pagan nitwit) mock-compassionate smile. And I am ashamed to say I have used it once or twice when I haven't a clue what to say next in an argument.

There isnt an emoticon that does that look is there?

• pr_capone
    pr_capone

I never let on about being a witness. It was hard enough being an outsider at the hall... I didnt need the additional stress of being an outsider at work too.

Kansas District Overbeer

• blondie
    blondie

I intensely disliked arrogant or dogmatic JWs. I think it depends on whether love motivated you or not and if you truly tried to have a humble viewpoint.

I had many non-JW relatives that I liked and did not quickly consign to Armageddon.

I do remember JWs who were arrogant and I cringed and tried not to go d2d with them or tried to explain that they were not "real" JWs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit