The 1000 word apostate challenge.

by kwintestal 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

Can you refute a JW doctrine in 1000 words or less (scriptural text and references excluded)? Pick one and try, if enough try it we should have a fairly compact "Here's why you should leave the JW's" package. Here's an example:

God?s name being ?Jehovah? and its required use

One of the Jehovah's Witnesses "claim-to-fame" is the fact that they use God's name, Jehovah. Please look at the following information found in the ?Divine Name? brochure (see pg. 7-8 under subtitle "How is God's name pronounced?"). T he Jews stopped using God?s name and the correct pronunciation was forgotten. Instead of using the proper name, they used the Hebrew word, ?Adho ·nai ? which means, ?Sovereign Lord?. In time this changed to Iehouah, and finally again to ?Jehovah?, this is normal evolution of a language. This doesn?t change the fact though, that the name ?Jehovah? comes from the word ?Adho ·nai ? which means ?Sovereign Lord?. This would mean that ?Jehovah? actually means ?Sovereign Lord?, not the same thing as the Tetragrammaton. How is saying ?Sovereign Lord? different than other religions that call God ?Lord?? Remember too, that Jesus never used God?s name. Had he, there would be no doubt as to the correct pronunciation because the apostles would have passed on something that important. Yes, Jesus did say, ?I have made your name known.? But how did he mean this? If you were buying a new TV and I said, ?Sony brand is a well known name,? what would I be saying? I would be saying that they have a good reputation. Could that be what Jesus was getting at, that he made God?s reputation known? It?s impossible to say with any certainty, but it is a possible understanding. Bottom line is that the use of the name ?Jehovah? is not an identifying mark of the true religion.

What can you do?

Kwin

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

I LOOOOVE this idea. Why? Because I had seen letters written by people that were called "apostate" before, but they were like 100 page letters with tons of technical references and looking at ancient tablets and stuff. To me that just made "apostates" seem that much more obsessive and bizarre.

If we had 1000 word essays on each major point it would provide lots of people simple talking points they can give to spouses, family members, friends, etc.

Someone who is getting close to that is this guy:
    http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Parthenon/7831/index.html

I like this idea. Actually would make a good book idea.

I don't have time to write one right this second but will do one tonight or tomorrow night.

Thanks!

-ithinkisee

• AlanF
    AlanF

It's a great idea, in principle.

Unfortunately, part of the example argument above is wrong. The word "Adonai" did not evolve into "Jehovah". Go look up the real history of the words and you'll find out.

AlanF

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

If we had 1000 word essays on each major point it would provide

Are you suggesting a series of APOSTATE TRACTS?

• mnb77
    mnb77

Jehovah, a man made God?

Did the Word "Jehovah" Come From?

Next to the true name of the Messiah, one of the most common misconceptions within Christianity is that God?s Name is ?Jehovah.? However, does it make any sense at all that the God of Avraham, Yitzhak, and Ja'acov (Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob) would reveal Himself to them through a name that is grammatically impossible to say in their language? That's correct: it is impossible to say the work "Jehovah" in Hebrew (or Aramaic)?the letters to create those sounds simply do not exist in either the modern or ancient language of

Well, then, where did the word ?Jehovah? come from?

The Hebrew Scriptures (the books of the Tenakh or so-called ?Old Testament?) were originally written almost totally in the Hebrew language, plus some sections in Aramaic, neither language containing any vowels, only consonants. However, there were a few of those Hebrew letters that would indicate that a vowel sound should be used. For example, the letter a (aleph), while actually a consonant, would let the reader know to insert an ?ah? sound, and the letter w (vav), which was pronounced somewhere between the English ?V? and ?W? could also be pronounced like English ?oo?. Let's see how this works, if you pronounce "W" like "oo" and remember to insert the appropriate vowel when you see ?#?.

MWST P#PL SHWLD B # THS SNTNC FRLY #SLY WTHWT VWLS

Most people should be able to read this sentence fairly easily without vowels.

The Jews knew what vowel sounds to be used in the pronunciation of the words based on the construction of the sentence, the context, and their excellent memories. Since very few people could afford to have written copies of even small portions of the Scriptures, huge amounts of Scripture were accurately committed to memory.

Between the sixth and tenth century after the birth of Messiah, a group of Scribes know as the Masoretes added a system of vowel points to enable the preservation of the original pronunciation. Their version of the Scriptures is know as the Masoretic Text.

The Name by which God revealed Himself to the patriarchs and to Moses was the Hebrew word for ?I AM? or ?I AM THAT I AM? ? meaning something similar to ?The One Who exists by His own power.? This Name was spelled hwhy, the Hebrew equivalent of ?YHWH? (yod, heh, vav, heh) and was considered too sacred to pronounce. This four-letter word is also know as the Tetragrammaton (meaning ?four letters?). When reading the Scriptures or referring to the Sacred Name (HaShem), the Jews would substitute the word ?Adonay,? which means ?Lord.?

To indicate this substitution in the Masoretic Text, the Masoretes added the vowel points from the word ?Adonay? to the Sacred Name, and came up with a word that would look to them something like YaHoWaH.

Since there was no such word in the Hebrew language, the reader would be forced to stop and think about what he was reading, and thus would avoid accidentally speaking the Sacred Name aloud.

Later, some Christian translators mistakenly combined the vowels of ?Adonay? with the consonants of ?YHWH? producing the word ?YaHoWaH.? When the Scriptures were translated into German during the Reformation, the word was transliterated into the German pronunciation, which pronounces ?Y? as an English ?J? and pronounces ?W? as an English ?V? ? or ?Jahovah.? Then in the early 17th century when the Scriptures were being translated into English with the help of some of the German translations, the word was again transliterated as ?Jehovah,? and this unfortunate accident has carried over into many modern English translations.

The term is now recognized by all proficient Bible scholars to be a late hybrid form, a translation error, that was never used by the Jews.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit