Did the WTS use the "Seven Times" in Daniel before 1914?

by Elsewhere 2 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Right now the only way the WTS calculates the date of 1914 as the end of the "Gentile Times" is by using the Seven Times mentioned in Daniel.

I was reading a post by AlmostAtheist in another thread where he posted a link to Quotes website about changes in the literature... Changing What Has Been Published

I noticed that they made changes to how they calculated 1874 as the end of the "Gentile Times" and ended up with 1914 after the fact. (Contrary to what JWs now tell you, they did NOT predict 1914 as the end of the Gentile Times... instead they had predicted it "as marking the beginning of the period of trouble" - the "great tribulation".)

Until they were forced to make this change from 1874, did they use the Seven Times in Daniel to calculate this or was it based intirely on the Pyramid measurements. Also, at what point did they actually start using the Seven Times?

• Neo
    Neo

We know that the idea didn't originate with Russell. But his first presentation of the seven times of Daniel 4 in connection to 1914 was in the Bible Examiner in the October 1876 issue, page 27. By that time, the WTS still didn't exist; the Bible Examiner was an Adventist magazine that belonged to George Storrs, and the WT mag was first published in 1879.

Russell claimed that his subsequent piramidological studies corraborated his interpretation of Daniel 4.

Neo

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

The article mentioned above I ironically found at a link that has a review of one of Herbert W. Armstrong's books. You will have to scroll down to find Russell's "Gentile Times When Do They End?"

http://home.datawest.net/esn-recovery/mike_ep/exam/MOA1/MOA-5.htm

Russell again discusses this topic in Vol. 2-The Time Is At Hand Study IV "The Times of the Gentiles," which was written in 1889. Go to http://ctrussell.us/ and click on Studies. Next click on Vol. 2-The Time Is At Hand. Look for "The Times of the Gentiles" and click. While he predicted the 1914 (or 1915) date, what he predicted to happen then did not.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit