The Greatest Man

by the_classicist 5 Replies latest watchtower bible

• the_classicist
  • the_classicist
    the_classicist

Well, I shouldn't have pressed the enter button....

The full title should read "The Greatest Man Who Ever Live."

Now what I was going to say was that the JWs contend that Jesus is the greatest man who ever lived, especially being the Son of God and Michael the Archangel incarnate. But what about Luke 7:28, I have NEVER heard this one read aloud or quoted in the KH or anywhere else.

I tell you, among those born of women no one is greater than John; yet the least in the kingdom of God is greater than he.?
  • dh
    dh
    I tell you, among those born of women no one is greater than John; yet the least in the kingdom of God is greater than he.?

I've heard this and discussed it before, but not sure if it was with a JW.

I seem to remember the context is that John was raised by women without a father. Therefore no man raised by just women is greater than John.

It's kind of like saying 'yeah, he's okay to say he was raised by women'

This is my understanding of it anyway, in context, though I have to say it's been years since I actually read it so I could be off base.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

A more provocative explanation is that this and other texts reveal that JtB and the Jesus characters were conflated. Perhaps JtB was a historical personage revered by a sect that was in expectation of a returned Joshuah/Jesus or a messiah in his image. In time the honorary name title"Jesus" was understood as a personal name and legeneds about John shifted to this new character. It's not as nutty as it sounds and is presently a focus of discussion.

• Preston
    Preston

According to the WBTS, It means any inhabitant of heaven will always be greater than the greatest man here on earth...

• Carmel
    Carmel

I'm in "heaven"! so did I piss on their party?

carmel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit