Luke 21 v 8 - ring a bell?

by TheEdge 9 Replies latest jw friends

• TheEdge
    TheEdge

''He said:''Look out that YOU are not misled; for many will come on the basis of my name, saying, 'I am he,' and, 'The due time has approached.' Do not go after them.

I wonder who these false prohets ARE who could be constantly saying, ''The due time has approached'?

• LittleToe
  • TheEdge
    TheEdge

Thanks for that Little Toe - there's so many topics prior to my joining - I just haven't been able to go through all of them!

• Honesty
    Honesty

Ask any dub.

• Amazing1914
    Amazing1914

LittleToe,

I went back and read your posted link. I have to say that Luke 21:8 bugged me the very from the first day I was a JW. I was handing out a Society tract at the end of the day. It was part of the literature released at the District Convention in 1970. Oddly enough, someone accused me of being apostate until they were convinced by the "Servants" that I was properly handing out tracts as they all were doing. The tract is long gone, but the title still haunts me: "The Due Time has Approached." - Jim W.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Amazing:To be totally candid, you were much smarter than I, Jim.
    It wasn't until I left the JW's that that verse even began to bother me.

It's funny how things like this spark memories, huh?
    I've had a few reminders, recently. It's cathartic

TheEdge:So many, it's impossible to get through.
    Keep on keeping on

• AlanF
    AlanF

The passage obviously fits the JWs to a tee. The Watchtower has published books like The Time Is At Hand and The Kingdom Is At Hand, which clearly key off Luke 21:8.

Here is a partial list of books and booklets that violate Jesus' command in Luke 21:8:

"The Time Is At Hand"
    "Universal War Near"
    "The Kingdom Is At Hand"
    "World Conquest Soon -- By God's Kingdom"
    "The Kingdom of God is Nigh"
    "Man's Rule About to Give Way to God's Rule"
    "Take Courage -- God's Kingdom Is at Hand!"
    "The Approaching Peace of a Thousand Years"
    "God's Kingdom of a Thousand Years Has Approached"

There are thousands of statements in various Watchtower publications along the same lines.

In 1994 I had the opportunity to challenge GB member Albert Schroeder about Luke 21:8. I had called him one Saturday morning to discuss why he had failed to answer my letter he had promised to deal with nine months earlier. I asked him to read the passage, then confirmed that he understood what it meant. Then I asked him why he thought it doesn't apply to JWs. He hemmed and hawed for about five minutes, but I pressed on. He finally said, "You're not going to let go of this until I answer you, are you?" This in itself ought to tell readers exactly what kind of lying hypocrites these people are, his hoping that by stonewalling he could put me off. I said, "No." He said, "It CAN'T apply to us, because we're God's people!"

AlanF

• Will Power
    Will Power
    He said, "It CAN'T apply to us, because we're God's people!"

Very sad. Like Nixon....we are not a cult. LOL

• vitty
    vitty

Actually. you could really make them think.

First ask them who are the only ones preaching that the time of the end is near. They will boastfully reply JW of course, then ask them to read Luke 21 v 8

How could they argue it doesnt apply to them, since theyve just said its only they who are saying it

• TheEdge
    TheEdge

Exactly Vittvin - I wonder if they'd see the irony? lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit