Valentine's Day Suicide Pact Foiled

by DevonMcBride 3 Replies latest jw friends

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

http://www.wnbc.com/news/4188079/detail.html

Police Trace Internet Records To Find Members Of Valentine's Day Suicide Pact

Plan Included Mom Who Was To Kill Kids

UPDATED: 4:39 pm EST February 11, 2005

KLAMATH FALLS, Ore. -- Investigators are subpoenaing records from Internet chat rooms to try to contact people who may have planned to take part in a Valentine's Day mass suicide.

The move follows Wednesday's arrest of a man in Oregon who is accused of using a chat room to try to set up the mass suicide.

Sheriffs deputies in Klamath Falls, Ore., said Gerald Krein faces charges of solicitation to commit murder. They said as many as 32 people in the United States and Canada may have been involved.

Investigators said the case came to light when a woman in Canada told authorities that she'd planned to take part in the suicide but then had second thoughts when another chat room participant talked about killing herself and her two children.

The Klamath County sheriff said one of their primary goals now is locating those children.

Investigators told The Oregonian newspaper that participants were going to log on to a Web site on Valentine's Day and simultaneously commit suicide.

Krein was being held at the Klamath County Jail without bail pending a grand jury review of the case expected next week.

Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere

Gruesome. And terribly sad...

-Aude.

• Amazing1914
    Amazing1914

These kooks often seem to come from my home state of Oregon. There was the Bagwan Rajneesh cult leader, then the JW men who killed themselves and their families. I wish they would find another state, like the Nevada desert to gather kooks.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Remind me never to visit your Statre Amazing!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit