Questions from a non-catholic

by Sir cid fatos 5 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Sir cid fatos
    Sir cid fatos

Hello guys

Since I have few JW friends i thought a lot of Jehova Witnesses. They are all nice guys. But my question is, that I know that JW's accept the old and new testament and in the old testament are some animales like hare and swine... (Leviticus 11 2:9)

Also Christians (i assume you guys too) believe that de bible is divine and the word of god. But in Genesis 1, at the begin it is stated that the eart (universe) is created in 6 days... "days"... How can there be days withouth an earth, also this shows that the men who wrote the bible weren't inspired by God but thought from their own world views.

By the way i do excuse me for my english, and i don't want to be rude I just have some questions that i want to know. From my experience I do know JW are nice and helpful... Thanks!!

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Well, firstly, you've stumbled upon a site that's made up mostly of exJWs and those who are no longer believers in JW doctrine but are stuck in the cult for one reason or another, so this may not be quite your intended audience.

I forget how they try to weasel out of the error that the hare chews it's cud when that's really not the case.  I assume that's what you're talking about.  They probably dismiss it as being that they appear to chew their cud and the isrealites would've thought this to be the case, so the bible was written in a way to make it easier for them to understand.  I don't know for sure, but I'm sure it's nonsense.

The days thing in genesis is easy - that refers to "figurative days" which is simply a period of activity with a particular goal.

• Jonathan Drake
    Jonathan Drake

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090203105013AAizkOL

As for for everything else you said, I suggest buying a Strongs indexed interlinear bible, vines dictionary, and strings concordance - find your own answers. keep a journal. Follow the direction vine outlines in the beginning of his dictionary (or was it strong.... Well one of them said it) which is to look for frequency and consistency in word use before asserting meanings. What harmonizes with the entire bible is likely the correct understanding of what is meant. (Per strong and vine)

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

You may also be referring to the diet restrictions in the Old Testament, you weren't supposed to eat swine...was it rabbit as well? This was changed in the New Testament with the new covenant with a vision of Peter in the book of Acts. Christians are free to eat bacon! 

Yes jw's are usually nice very helpful people! Especially when they are preaching, but usually nice in general. 

in genesis there was not a first day until there was an earth. It says God created the heavens and the earth in the beginning. Then there is only water on the earth. Then there is light, and that is the first day. 

I feel that it was all written from a human standpoint and very simplified, yes. And each creative day was millions or billions of years.

• Sir cid fatos
    Sir cid fatos

@FayeDunaway

But I asked this JW friend of mine and he said they accept the new and the old testament. So why could they change the rules. It's really contradictary a lot of this, or i can't understand it...

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

I think that everyone who accepts the New Testament accepts that with Jesus came a different way of thinking. The Mosaic Law was from the Old Testament and included a lot of rules about how the Jews were supposed to live. The Pharisees were the religious leaders of that time, and over the centuries expanded this list much more than was written in the Bible we see. By the time Jesus came, he became disgusted with this set of rules, and tried to tell the people they did not have to be so strict. Many of those rules were about the Sabbath and what constituted Work. The Pharisees followed Jesus around and tried to catch him doing something wrong on the sabbath. When he healed people on the sabbath, for example, they got very upset and called it work. 

The Old Testament applied to a different time. After Jesus came and died for us, people no longer had to make sacrifices at the temple. Jesus sacrifice was once for all time, all the forgiveness we would need, if we just believe in him. Many of the rules they used to follow took early Christians a long time to let go, including that it was ok to eat pork.  people who were not born Jewish were becoming Christians, and these people ate other kinds of meats, and since no one needed to be under the old Hebrew rules anymore, they did not have to stop eating them. You should read in your Bible starting at Matthew, and if you are very interested in this particular subject, skip to Acts. 

So yes, Christians accept both old and new testaments, but we realize there have been many changes since the old, including a relationship with God based not on works and if we are following the rules carefully enough, but thankfulness for his love to us. Check out some other Christians besides the witness friends you have, because witnesses are nice people, but how they interpret the Bible is more focused on the Old Testament based on rule following and their love for him is often genuine but a little messed up and confused by men telling them what to believe and how exactly to do everything they do.

I'm really sorry about the loss of your grandfather. Grandfathers are wonderful. Sure wish I still had mine around. 

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit