WT 3-1-05 - Bible sets precedent for receiving governmental aid?

by Bonnie_Clyde 4 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

Page 27 - Under "Jehovah's Word is Alive," it comments on chapter 2, verse 2: "Ruth wanted to take advantage of the provision of gleaning made for the benefit of the foreigners and the afflicted. She was humble at heart. A needy Christian should not be too proud to accept the loving assistance of fellow believers or any governmental aid he or she may qualify for."

First of all, Ruth wasn't given any handout. The crops were left at the edge of the field so that the "foreigners and afflicted" would have something to eat, but they had to work for it, and they had to work hard.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not totally against governmental aid if there is truly a need. However, the witnesses often accept it too easily. I know witnesses who could work but are receiving governmental aid as that is the easiest way to finance their pioneering. A visiting speaker recently talked about a brother who moved to where the greater are needed the need is greater intending to get a job, but upon finding out there were none available, went on governmental aid. He had a job before he left for his new location. Why didn't he go back?

• Will Power
    Will Power

bonnie, thanks for posting that

Using the Government to finance a pioneer life is stealing.

I think there is a commandment about that?

Lots of people try and rip off the government, but the monies come from the taxpayers and as one, it ticks me off.

The WT thinks it has a god giving right to anything they want.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

when I was secretary , we not allowed to recommend anyone to be a regular pioneer if they were claiming unemployment benefit, for this very reason.

I am thinking of the time in late 80's when there was an economic recession and some congo's in industrial areas had half the male members unemployed. The rule from Bethel was that they could auxilliary pioneer for one month at a time, provided they were seen to be looking for work and then they had to drop pioneering mid - month if they secured a job

• DocBob
    DocBob

I remember when this one came out in 1983.

What, though, when the state has programs for financially assisting its citizens? A Christian can cooperate with this. All Christians are obliged to pay "to him who calls for the tax, the tax; to him who calls for the tribute, the tribute." (Romans 13:7) This would include all the taxes that are earmarked to be used for state benefits.

By the same token, it is proper to accept any of these benefits to which we are legally entitled because of present circumstances. The apostle Paul said that governments are "God's minister to you for your good." (Romans 13:4) So any grants, any help in the way of pension plans or medical insurance, even public assistance because of poverty, can all be properly accepted by a Christian who honestly qualifies. However, problems may arise.

A Conscientious Decision

Consider the situation of a young man who has chosen a career as a full-time preacher. Since this is unpaid, voluntary work, he takes a part-time job to support himself. It may happen that because the only available part-time employment gives him an income below a certain figure, he qualifies for government benefits. Should he apply for them?

Well, he is not avoiding work. He is making an effort to support himself in an honorable way. As long as the authorities fully understand his situation and agree that he qualifies, there may be no reason for his refusing to accept any supplementary benefits that are available. It is not shameful to accept such assistance. In the United States, even some who work in the military receive it. - The Watchtower 4/1/83 pp. 8-9 "The Uses and Abuses of Welfare"

• wiegel
    wiegel
    A needy Christian should not be too proud to accept the loving assistance of fellow believers or any governmental aid he or she may qualify for.

Since they believe that they are the only true Christians, this could read: "A needy witness should not be too proud....."

You gotta love it - in the US I would venture to say that "most" dubs are needy because they have not been taught to prepare for their futures, but rather have spent their lives preaching about the evils of the world and its governments.

Hmmmmmm.....and now their fellow believers who are able to help them (probably because they got an education or had full time jobs or did something else that at the time kept them low on the spiritual totem pole) and the "evil" government can be used to bail them out.

Do I smell a rat? dead men's bones?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit