Fines for 'droopy drawers'

by Elsewhere 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Looks like plumbers and construction workers are going to get nailed!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4249831.stm

Fines for 'droopy drawers' backed US politicians fed up with catching an eyeful of underwear want to fine those who won't hitch up their trousers.

The Virginia state house has voted to outlaw the trend of wearing trousers so low that underwear hangs over the top.

Delegates said the habit, popular across the US and in other Western countries, was "coarsening" society.

But others hit back, urging legislators to remember their own "fashion follies" and saying the law would be used mostly against black people.

The house adopted the "droopy drawers" bill by a margin of 60-34.

If the state senate also approves, youngsters in Virginia showing too much of their boxer shorts or G-strings could be fined $50 (£26).

The habit, apparently picked up from rap and skateboarding culture, has become popular among boys and girls of all races, but particularly black youngsters.

Democrat Delegate Algie T Howell proposed the bill.

"It's not an attack on baggy pants. It's not about Janet Jackson. It's not about Randy Moss," he said, referring to the American footballer recently fined for pretending to "moon" opposing fans.

"To vote for this bill would be a vote for character, to uplift your community and to do something good not only for the state of Virginia, but for this entire country," he added.

Faux pas

Others were similarly offended by the current trend.

"Most of us would identify this as the coarsening of society," said Delegate John Reid, a Republican.

"Underwear is called underwear for a reason."

But Delegate Lionell Spruill, a Democrat, objected, calling it "a foolish bill".

He asked fellow politicians to remember their own former fashion faux pas, including Afro haircuts, platform shoes and shiny polyester "shell suits".

"Please, let these kids express themselves," he urged, before warning there could be a sinister side to the bill.

"This is going to be a bill that targets blacks. You know who they are going to stop," he said.

Story from BBC NEWS
  • Brummie
    Brummie
    To vote for this bill would be a vote for character, to uplift your community and to do something good not only for the state of Virginia, but for this entire country," he added.

These bills and the people behind them are too dumb! "Trends" of youth have always been a part of every community, if its a trend thats physically harming others then yes, but to critisise these sort of "baggy drawers" is pathetic.

Brummie

• Valis
    Valis

That law is about as stupid as the young people who get their sag on...It looks goofy, but one would think lawmakers have more to do than bother with this...I can just see some moron friend of a senator driving down the street and getting offended because some young kid was saggin.....The Call..."Hey Senator Self Righteous! Guess what I saw? I t was horrible! There should be a law!!! ...The check is in the mail...".......

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

hey, if kids want to run around looking like they just crapped their pants, who am I to judge? For me as a youngster it was skin tight satin hip-huggers, six inch platform clogs and a pink velvet haltertop with no bra. I got's no room ta talk...

Jean

• prophecor
    prophecor

Lockemup!!!

• carefully faded
    carefully faded

Unbelieveable! How will they enforce this? Will they have to measure the amount of underware showing?

- CF

• Maxine Mouse
    Maxine Mouse

This is just one of many ignorant laws Virginia has contemplated or passed. Last summer our city banned loud music coming out of cars. Annoying? Yes. Against the law? No. At the time this was passed, it was also all over the news that is was a racial thing. But here, there are just as many whites, hispanics, etc. dressing and listening to music that is mainly considered african american. Virginia is the only state I have lived in where they can have more control on decisions you make (IE children, family, schools, etc.) than you do.

• target
    target

I have actually seen two lately that had the waist of their jeans BELOW the crotch of their underwear. I do not know how they can walk without tripping. I do think that is definitely indecent. It is not just the top of the underwear showing. It is the entire underwear. I found that offensive and do think it should be illegal. There are always some who have to carry it too far and ruin it for the ones that were not bothering anyone.

Target

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

Hmmm what do I think...I watched a kid walk on campus the other day I swear he had his belt around his thighs and I got to see his boxers and everything. Do I think we need have the police fining him...hell, he looked stupid. Everyone was looking at him like "how the hell you walk like that." This is a trend, it will go along with the tube tops of my time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit