family issues getting better

by jwbot 2 Replies latest jw friends

• jwbot
    jwbot

For those that remember what I posted about my sister...I was really worried for her after a bit. This "new" guy (twice her age) moves quickly into her life and she finds herself taking care of him. She wanted him to fly back to England because it became obvious to her that he was insane but he kept threatening to kill himself. He would lock himself in the bathroom and cut himself. Finally she convinced him to go home. My family worked on her a bit with my help to try and get her to accept therapy, it was obvious to us that she was acting out because of depression. She had also been molested when she was a child (and parents did not know till now) and that her feelings manifested itself in this way.

She finally accepted this and decided to stay with my parents so they could help her. The great thing is, is that they had kept religion out of this and worried only about my sisters mental health, and the safety of the children. My parents had also taken in J (the husband) and their two kids and tried very hard to keep them all happy. My father is getting therapy too because of the guilt he feels about my sister getting molested (by our half-brother, our fathers son).

The very unexpected thing though, is that my family is associating with me again and have told me time and again how valuable I was in helping and supporting them. Even my oldest sister who was most veheminent about not talking to me, called me and emailed me and we had some pleasent conversation back and forth. I figured this would all end once my sister was back and staying with my parents, but instead everyone has continued to be very nice to me. I have even had several really great conversations with my brother-in-law who I tried to be very encouraging to (once I got the complete story) and now we are back to having a good relationship.

My sister and her husband are now back to living in the same house but they are going at things slowly...basically getting to be friends again (going on dates too). Seems like things will be difficult but will get better. They even incited Mike and I out for dinner this weekend which was totally not expected but I am looking foward to it. And it also seems like my family has gained a lot of respect and trust for Mike, my fiance, and our relationship because of this whole ordeal. This whole ordeal has also really made me examine my own life and relationships. As a family, we all feel closer.

The only thing left...is to wait to see if my sisters JC (yeah thats right, the elders want to talk to her) goes fine. My parents have said that if she is disfellowshipped...they will continue to support her. My parents may be JWs all the way, but this whole things has taught them a lot of compassion and understanding. I do not think she will be df'd though because the elders in my parents cong. turned out to be very understanding (rare, indeed), but they are truly a nice little bunch so time will tell...

• Valis
    Valis

hi jwbot! Good to hear things are working out for her and destressing you. Hope it also works out for her with the visit from Elder Who & The Grinches.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

A little premature, I know, but... HOORAY! The path she was on could only lead to years of guilt and anger for her.

Hooray! Hooray! Hooray!

Of course the elders need to jam their noses in it (I'd like to jam their noses in it) and try to make it as difficult and painful for everyone involved as is possible. My thoughts are with your sister and BIL, I hope things work out for them from here.

You've absolutely made my day/week/month! And of course, mucho praise to you for supporting her through this!!!

Dave

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit