How Witnesses Use Meeting Comments

by metatron 9 Replies latest jw experiences

• metatron
    metatron

One of the more amusing aspects of pretense maintenance in this "spiritual paradise" concerns comments made in the

meetings. They often give publishers the opportunity to project an image of what they would like others to think of them

- or an unintended contrast with their personal reality. For example:

Sister Wallop finishes a pious comment about lovingly reasoning wth children - and then smacks her interrupting kid.

Brother Elder gives a heartfelt comment about the wonderful opportunities available to those who remain single -

while seated next to his wife and three kids.

Brother Eager recommends personal study - despite his avoidance of reading and books.

Sister Pioneer gives a stern warning about loose conduct and touching the opposite sex ( she is 30+ and single with

no prospects - she ain't gettin' any)

The funniest example was a Bethel brother who ranted during a morning text comment about brothers "with bad

attitudes" who won't eat "that stuff they call supper". He got severely counseled about saying such things to the

Bethel "family" ....... but the elders didn't catch on that this was all a put on , that he had a "bad attitude" of his own,

and that this was his way of venting it!

In that context, I sometimes wonder about warnings in the publications about the organization getting "assimilated"

or going "mainstream". Is this a warning - or a sly injection of an otherwise heretical notion? Nudge, nudge, wink, wink.......

metatron

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

I think you are on to something.

Personally I have always wondered why such a sexist religion would even want females to go on field service, then I came to theory: (1)That a woman knocking at your door is less intimidating than a man, so you are more likely to get an answer. (2)Women are generally better a communication than men, so it's easier to start up a conversation or keep one going. (3) They cannot (men- ms, elders)bear children.

Any other thinkers out there wana add there 2 cents?

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Meeting comments are often political. You can always tell when one is 'bucking to be an elder', by the 'depth' of his comments. Usually accompanied by a faithful wife starting to pioneer out of the blue.

Stage two is that the body of elders will 'highlight' him during the Co's visit - reading paragraphs at the book study from the platform, giving the instruction talk that week, called on seven times to comment at the Watchtower study that week.

Stage three is that he becomes the 'assistant' to all the elders needs. Invited to go along on 'shepherding' calls, always ready to 'fill-in' for the book study, ect.

The whole thing makes me sick!

Just my opinion

Jeff

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

Get your point. I often felt that the most vocal and dogmatic in their comments at the meetings were the ones I would consider least Christ like.

Eyeslice

• Jaypeeto
    Jaypeeto

I used to LOVE it during the Watchtower Study on Sunday when several brothers or sisters would get the microphone and then read out the wrong answer from a paragraph we had either long passed, or hadn't gotten to yet, and then beam with pride after having given a totally nonsensical answer. And I loved it when people who couldn't speak a complete sentence would read the answer, then embellish the pat answer with a minute or two of meaningless gibberish to give the impression of being "spiritual". I often had to bite my tongue to keep from audibly giggling. Love, Jaypeeto

• unique1
    unique1

I always loved it when one of the psychos, slightly short of a six pack, (come on every congregation has at least 2) would answer something which you thought at first was going to make sense but just didn't. The answer would take a sharp turn to the right and go onto a completely different track. Good Times. Livened the meeting up a bit.

• kaykay_mp
    kaykay_mp
    I always loved it when one of the psychos, slightly short of a six pack, (come on every congregation has at least 2) would answer something which you thought at first was going to make sense but just didn't. The answer would take a sharp turn to the right and go onto a completely different track. Good Times. Livened the meeting up a bit.

When I would visity my mom and we would go to her congo (b/c I lived with my grandparents) at the Sunday meeting there would be this little Korean lady--and I'm not trying to be racist here--whose comments would start out the way that you just described, then she would start saying, "and all the peoples and childrens in Jeehova's organization would be happy, and uh..."--just completely lost it after her normal answer--and I'd be like "what the hell just happened?" and my brother and I really cracked up laughing the first time we heard it. and of course we got slapped as usual. laters kaykay_mp

• blondie
    blondie

I always used my comments to make people think a little deeper. I liked using illustrations to make the point...there had to be a reason Jesus used them. I think I scared the conductor though. Any comment that wasn't just a re-reading of the paragraph, a re-arranging of the words in the paragraph, and one where a scripture was read and appropriate, pointed but practical application made stood out.

When I still attended there were two sisters that always used their comments to compete with each other. When I came, I shook them both up. One could be counted on to always have a dictionary definition and the other always had an Insight quote. Me, I always had the scripture application.

Blondie

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront

Certainly amongst the most damaging comments made during meeting include Brother college-educated-highpaying job-big house commenting on how bad this system is, how college is a waste of time and since this system won't be around long enough for you to capitalize on education, how much better it would be if you pursued "spiritual interests" first.

I had two brothers in my home about 10 years ago telling me just that.

• blondie
    blondie

95, did you point out their hypocrisy to them?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit