what is a sheparding call and how will it affect ..

by Globetrotter 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Globetrotter
    Globetrotter

I recently separated from my JW wife and filed for divorce. (I am not a JW.) My wife told someone at the KH and soon afterwards my son told me that she received a sheparding call.

What is this and how/will it affect our divorce?

• blondie
    blondie

They probably want to know her status regarding her marriage, that is, have you committed adultery. If so, they she is free to remarry without JW sanction. Of course, she has to have some kind of proof, like you moved in with a woman. After the divroce, if you remarry then she is free to remarry too according to their rules. They might even wonder if she has committed adultery.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

If they are good elders, the only reason for their visit should be to render spiritual, material, or emotional support. Did they visit her regularly before this? If so they are probably coming to be encouraging to her and your son. If this is the first shepherding call she's had, then they are probably not that great of guys and Blonde hit the nail on the head.

IPSec

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

I'm sorry to hear of your family problems, divorce is painful even if it's necessary.

The elders will probably not have much to do with the divorce, other than what other posters have already mentioned. If they are close to her, they may offer her personal advice -- a preferred lawyer, "tactics", things to say and not to say to the judge. There will almost certainly not be any financial assistance. And while you can bet your name will be dragged through the mud from here to Gehenna, it will mostly be within the confines of the Kingdom Hall and those who attend it. They will likely warn her not to speak about you publicly, for fear you will turn it around on her and accuse her of slander.

Good luck, hang in there.

Dave

• Globetrotter
    Globetrotter

She has not had a visit that I know of other than the one I described a year ago on this board, and that was a witnessing type of call for my benefit (err). I asked her last night if she had heard from them, and she said that "they" want to come over. She's not ready to recieve them yet.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

GT-

While 'shepherding calls' would properly be used to correct and aid the sheep in staying in the flock - they are largely abused. Most notably they are a front for elders to uncover 'wrongdoing' and 'sin', and to begin the process of making sure the 'flock is protected' from spiritual 'leaven'.

She is probably wise to be cautious about them calling at a time that must have her somewhat vunerable.

Sorry to hear about your marital difficulties.

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit