What is "Wicked"

by BluesBrother 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

"Main Entry: wicked Part of Speech: adjective Definition: bad Synonyms: abandoned, abominable, amoral, arch, atrocious, bad news, base, contemptible, corrupt, debased, degenerate, depraved, devilish, dissolute, egregious, evil, fiendish, flagitious, foul, gross, guilty, heartless, heinous, immoral, impious, impish, incorrigible, indecent, iniquitous, irreligious, low-down, mean, mischievous, nasty, naughty, nefarious, profane, reprobate, rotten, scandalous, shameful, shameless, sinful, unethical, unprincipled, unrighteous, vicious, vile, villainous, wayward, worthless Source: Roget's New Millennium? Thesaurus, First Edition (v 1.1.1)"

The above is a recognised definition or list of synonyms for this common word in English. It is a word that anyone studying with Jehovah's Witnesses becomes familiar very quickly . Hovever, it is important to note the definition of "Wickedness " given in their "Insight On The Scriptures"

it-2 pp. 1180-1181 Wickedness ***

WICKEDNESS

That which does not conform to God?s standard of moral excellence is wicked, bad, evil, or worthless. Like the Greek word po·ne·ri´a (Mt 22:18; Mr 7:22; Lu 11:39; Ac 3:26; Ro 1:29; 1Co 5:8; Eph 6:12), the Hebrew verb ra·sha`´ and related forms designate that which is wicked. (Ge 18:23; 2Sa 22:22; 2Ch 20:35; Job 34:8; Ps 37:10; Isa 26:10) Po·ne·ros´ (related to po·ne·ri´a) often signifies that which is evil or wicked in a moral sense (Lu 6:45) and can apply to something that is bad or worthless in a physical sense, as when Jesus Christ spoke of "worthless fruit." (Mt 7:17, 18) This word can also describe something that is hurtful and, at Revelation 16:2, has been rendered "painful" (AT, TEV) and "malignant."?NE, NW.

The Scriptures give assurance that the time will come when wickedness will no longer exist, as all those who stand in opposition to the Creator will be destroyed when his permission of wickedness will have served its purpose.?2Pe 3:9-13; Re 18:20-24; 19:11?20:3, 7-10

Notice the euphamisms here employed and the subtle change to "God's standard of moral excellence" (Judged by the WTBS)and also the hygenic expression "permission of wickedness will have served its purpose". Another way of saying that the time has come for the mass slaughter of all who disagree with us.

Few people deny the existence of wickedness in the world , the headlines are full of it, and if one accepts the concept of God then it may sound reasonable to agree with the "Hope", that God could ,and should, be expected to put a stop to it for the good of mankind.

Back to the Question, "What does constitute Wickedness?" Most would agree with a definition that listed dastardly acts to one's fellow man especially pre meditated crimes of violence against the person, including terrorism , or heartless deceit for selfish gain , resulting in trauma for the victim

However, this natural antipathy toward wickedness is exploited by the Watchtower Society for its own ends. I refer to their explanation of Matt 24 and 25, where Jesus liked people of two classes to sheep and goats

*** ka chap. 15 pp. 289-290 Why Goatlike Ones Fail to Inherit the Kingdom ***

WHEN

THE "GOATS" GO OFF TO THEIR PUNISHMENT

14 Jesus declares that what awaits these symbolic "goats" at his left hand of cursedness is the "fire prepared for the Devil and his angels." They have given no moral support to God?s Messianic kingdom and have thereby proved themselves to be a part of this world of which Satan the Devil is the invisible "ruler." (John 12:31; 14:30; 16:11) This wicked world under Satan the Devil is doomed to destruction in the "great tribulation" that is just ahead. The "goats" will enter into that "fire" of destruction when they get into that "great tribulation such as has not occurred since the world?s beginning until now, no, nor will occur again." (Matthew 24:21; Mark 13:19) They refuse to acknowledge and recognize God as Jehovah, whose name presents itself thousands of times in the inspired Hebrew Scriptures of the Holy Bible, and they refuse to obey or conform to the good news about the Lord Jesus Christ. At the revelation of the power and authority of the invisibly present Christ in the "great tribulation," the "goats" will experience what the apostle Paul foretold, in 2 Thessalonians 1:7-10:

15 "The revelation of the Lord Jesus from heaven with his powerful angels in a flaming fire, as he brings vengeance upon those who do not know God and those who do not obey the good news about our Lord Jesus. These very ones will undergo the judicial punishment of everlasting destruction from before the Lord and from the glory of his strength, at the time he comes to be glorified in connection with his holy ones,"?his spiritual "brothers."

The "Goats" experience fiery destruction for no better reason than that they faiiled to support the message spoken by "Christs brothers" , who they say are exclusively themselves. So rejection of the Watchtower Society is "Wicked" enough to justify the same fate as the most heinous of criminals or despotic rulers!

Notice also the comment regarding those , as a group who chose not to endorse Rutherfords Watchtower Society

*** ka chap. 13 pp. 250-251 Settling Accounts with the Slaves of Today ***

24 However, even among those in contact with the faithful "slaves" of the returned, reigning King Jesus Christ there has appeared a class of anointed Christians who fit the picture of the "wicked and sluggish slave." Evidently this class is referred to in the third paragraph of the Resolution entitled "A New Name," that was adopted Sunday afternoon, July 26, 1931, at the international convention held in Columbus, Ohio, under the auspices of the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society. This paragraph we now quote:

WHEREAS shortly following the death of Charles T. Russell a division arose between those associated with him in such work, resulting in a number of such withdrawing from the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society, and who have since refused to cooperate with said Society and its work and who decline to concur in the truth as published by the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society in The Watch Tower and the other recent publications of the said above-named corporations, and have opposed and do now oppose the work of said Society in declaring the present message of God?s kingdom and the day of the vengeance of our God against all parts of Satan?s organization; and said opposing ones have formed themselves into divers and numerous companies and have taken and now bear such names as, to wit, "Bible Students," "Associated Bible Students," "Russellites teaching the truth as expounded by Pastor Russell," "Stand-Fasters," and like names, all of which tends to cause confusion and misunderstanding . . .

Consider that this was a concientious choice, not an act of malice or intended to harm anybody or insult God. No, they simply disagreed as to the best way to serve God and are branded as "Evil" because of that choice.

All of us are in a similar position. Unless one follows the Society's line one is branded "Apostate". and consided wicked enough to be slaughtered ( they prefer to say destroyed) "at the impending day of God the almighty in which his permission of wickedness will cease forever" [generalised quote]. A witness might deny this and fall back on other lines that say that God judges all individully etc, but that is a sop to the good nature of their membership, and for public consumption - in reality all witnesses know full well what awaits those who are "Not in the Truth" at Armageddon

I contend that the Watchtower Society has hi jacked the word "Wicked", twisted it and applied to all those who may in good conscience disagree with them . Is that in itself not a wicked act by those who claim to have the knowlege to understand scripture and teach others?

I am reminded of the George Orwell novell 1984.In that picture of a possible nightmarish future under totalitarian rule, Newspeak and Doublethink had replaced clear English and honest reporting.

Thank god for the internet which brings an unprecedented variety of informatio int our homes so we are able to compare and now make valid judgements .

• under74
    under74

Thanks for that BluesBrother. Very interesting and informative.

Do you think JWs are the only ones that have hi-jacked the word "evil" though? I know a couple Pentecostals that use the word frequently and way too loosly in regards to anyone that disagrees with them (e.g. their religious views).

• tepic
    tepic
    Do you think JWs are the only ones that have hi-jacked the word "evil" though?

Good point. I looked at several translations in regard to the man at 1 Cor chap 5. ----some say wicked ; others say evil.

Elders are told to ask themselves---Is the person wicked or weak.

Not to stray off the subject, but one thing repeated several times in COC is that many organized religions display some of the same undesirable things as WT. The question begs an answer ---What (not who) shall we go away to?????

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

Tepic, Peter answered his own question: "You have sayings of everlasting life." In my opinion, there never has been a "what" to go to or away from, and the "who" we go to is only in terms of imitation.

I would be happy to discuss further by PM, if you like.

Respectfully,
    OldSoul (of the "I still respect believers class")

• kgfreeperson
    kgfreeperson

I was curious about JW use of the word "christendom" so googled it and came upon this site--which does not seem to be JW, but sure looks familiar. Do you know whose site this is?

http://users.aol.com/bible4/chrastoc.htm

• onacruse
    onacruse

Interesting.

When I was at bethel (lower case deliberate), I talked with U. Glass (deceased) about this, and as a result of that conversation I explored the Greek concepts.

"Bad" is wrong, just a matter of being 'out-of-sync,' almost like someone with ADD, bipolar, or with Parkinson's. Nothing moral about it.

However, "wicked" is pernicious and deliberate wrong.

In that respect, the WTS is wicked.

Trench's Synonyms has some very pertinent observations about this.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

said to be from wicca / witch

The witch attempted to alter and evade fate / natural order through personal efforts ie. to negate the fate / future that come naturally through 'God'.

There's a few groups trying that I think

• FairMind
    FairMind

Shoot me down if my logic is faulty. Real wickedness is what God thinks is wicked. We humans have our own ideas of good and bad and it seems that they don?t always agree with God?s thoughts (as expressed in the Bible). (1) God will not destroy people who are good from his perspective only those who are wicked (right?). (2) He who does the will of God remains forever (1 John 2:17) this must mean that God defines wickedness as not doing his will. (3) Given this viewpoint almost all of mankind is wicked regardless of the good they do according to our personal viewpoints.

FairMind

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit