Watchtower Study - Aug 19

by hippikon 0 Replies latest watchtower bible

• hippikon
    hippikon

SHARE IN THE JOY OF GIVING!

“There is more happiness in giving than there is in receiving. “—ACTS 20:35.

THE joy of knowing the truth and the resulting blessings are precious gifts from God. Those who have come to know Je-hovah have many rea-sons to rejoice. But while there is joy in receiv-ing a gift, there is also joy in giving one. Je-hovah is the Giver of “every good gift and every perfect pres-ent,” and he is “the happy God.” (James 1:17; 1 Timothy 1:11) He imparts healthful teachings to all who lis-ten, and he delights in the obedience of those whom he teaches, just as parents rejoice when their children respond to loving instruction.—Proverbs 27:11.

1. How does Jehovah demonstrate the joy of giv-ing?

Similarly, when on earth Jesus was happy to see people respond positively to his teaching. The apostle Paul quoted Jesus as saying: “There is more happiness in giving than there is in receiv-ing.” (Acts 20:35) The happiness we receive when we teach oth-ers Bible truth is not simply the satisfaction of having someone agree with our religious beliefs. Far more than that, it is the joy of know-ing that we are giving something of genuine and lasting value. By giving spiritually, we can help people to benefit them-selves both now and through-out eternity.—1 Timothy 4:8.

2. (a) What did Jesus say about giving? (b) What happiness do we receive when we teach others Bible truth?

Giving Brings Joy

Yes, just as Jehovah and Jesus rejoice in imparting spiritual gifts, Christians do also. The apostle Paul found joy in the knowledge that he had helped others learn the truth of God’s To the congregation in lonica, he wrote: “What is our hope or joy or crown of exultation—why, is it not in fact you?—before our Lord Jesus at his presence? You certainly are our glory and joy.” (1 Thes-salonians 2:19, 20) In like manner the apostle John, referring to his spiritual children, wrote: “No greater cause for thankfulness do I have than these things, that I should be hear-ing that my children go on walking in the truth.” (3 John 4) Think, too, of the joy there is in aiding our own children to become our spiritual children! Raising children in “the discipline and mental-regulating of Jehovah” is an expression of love on the part of parents. (Ephesians 6:4) Parents thereby show that they are concerned about their young ones’ eternal welfare. When these respond, parents experience great joy and satisfaction.

3. (a) How did the apostles Paul and John express their joy in helping others spiritually? (b) Why is imparting Bible truth to our children an expression of love?

Dell is a full-time pioneer minister and the mother of five. She says: “I can relate very well to the apostle John’s words because I am very thankful that four of my children are ‘walking in the truth.’ I know that it brings honor and glory to Jehovah when families are united in true worship, so I feel deep satisfac-tion in seeing his blessing on my efforts to in-still the truth in my children. The beautiful prospect of endless life in Paradise with my family fills me with hope and motivates me to endure in spite of difficulties and obstacles.” Unhappily, one of Dell’s daughters was dis-fellowshipped from the congregation be-cause of pursuing an unchristian course. Still, Dell works hard to maintain a positive atti-tude. “I hope that one day my daughter will humbly and sincerely return to Jehovah,” she says. “But I thank God that most of my chil-dren continue to serve him faithfully. The joy that I feel has been a real source of strength to me.”—Nehemiah 8:10.

4. What experience demonstrates the joy of spiritu-al giving?

Making Everlasting Friends

Jesus directed his followers to make Chris-tian disciples and teach them about Jeho-vah and his requirements. (Matthew 28:19, 20) Both Jehovah and Jesus have unselfishly helped people to learn the way of the truth. So as we give of ourselves in the work of making disciples, we have the satisfaction of knowing that we are imitating the exam-ple of Jehovah and of Jesus, as did the ear-ly Christians. (1 Corinthians 11:1) When we thus cooperate with Almighty God and his beloved Son, our lives take on real meaning. What a blessing it is to be counted among God’s “fellow workers”! (1 Corinthians 3:9) And is it not thrilling that even angels have a part in this activity of preaching the good news?—Revelation 14:6, 7.

5. As we give of ourselves in the work of making dis-ciples, what knowledge gives us satisfaction?

In fact, by sharing in this work of spiritu-al giving, we can become more than fellow workers with God—we can come into an ever-lasting friendship with him. Because of his faith, Abraham was called Jehovah’s friend. (James 2:23) As we strive to do God’s will, we too can become God’s friends. If we do that, we also become friends of Jesus. He said to his disciples: “I have called you friends, be-cause all the things I have heard from my Fa-ther I have made known to you.” (John 15:15) Many rejoice to be counted friends of influential people or high officials, but we can be counted as friends of the two greatest personalities in all the universe!

6. As we share in spiritual giving, who become our friends?

Further, when we help people to come to know God, they become our friends too, bringing us special happiness. Joan, who lives in the United States, began to study the Bible with a woman named Thel- ma. Though Thelma encountered family op-position to her study, she persevered and was baptized a year later. Joan wrote: “Our asso-ciation did not end there; rather, it developed into a friendship that has lasted for about 35 years now. We have often gone in the minis-try and to conventions together. Eventually, I moved to a new home 800 kilometers away. But Thelma continues to send me the most loving and heart warming letters, telling me that she thinks of me fondly and thanking me for being her friend and example and for teaching her the truth from the Bible. Having such a near and dear friend is a wonderful re-ward for the effort I made to help her to learn about Jehovah.”

7. (a) How did one woman make a real friend? (b) Have you had a similar experience?

The prospect of finding someone who wants to learn the truth can help us endure even if many of the people we meet show lit-tle or no interest in Jehovah’s Word. Such apathy can present a challenge to our faith and endurance. Yet, a positive attitude will help us. Fausto, who comes from Guatemala, said: “When I witness to others, I think about how great it would be if the person to whom I am speaking were to become a spiritual brother or sister. I reason that at least one per-son I will meet may eventually embrace the truth of God’s Word. That thought keeps me going and brings me real joy.”

8. What positive attitude will help us in the minis-try?

Storing Up Treasures in Heaven

Making disciples, whether of our children or of other individuals, is not always easy. It may take time, patience, and perseverance. Remember, though, that many are willing to work hard to store up an abundance of ma-terial things, things that usually do not bring them joy and that do not last forever. Je-sus told his listeners that it was better to work for spiritual things. He said: “Stop stor-ing up for yourselves treasures upon the earth, where moth and rust consume, and where thieves break in and steal. Rather, store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust consumes, and where thieves do not break in and steal.” (Matthew 6:19, 20) By pursuing spiritual goals—which include sharing in the important work of dis-ciple making—we can have the satisfaction of knowing that we are doing God’s will and that he will reward us. The apostle Paul wrote: “God is not unrighteous so as to forget your work and the love you showed for his name.”—Hebrews 6:10.

9. What did Jesus say about treasures in heaven, and what can we learn from this?

If we work diligently to make disciples, we store up for ourselves “treasures in heav-en,” in harmony with what Jesus said. This brings us the joy of receiving. If we unselfish-ly give, we end up being enriched ourselves. Jesus himself had faithfully served Jehovah for billions of years. Think of the treasures he had accumulated in heaven! Nevertheless, Jesus did not seek his own interests. The apos-tle Paul wrote: “[Jesus] gave himself for our sins that he might deliver us from the present wicked system of things according to the will of our God and Father.” (Galatians 1:4) Not only did Jesus unselfishly give of himself in his ministry but he gave his very life as a ran-som so that others might have the opportu-nity to store up treasures in heaven.

10. (a) Why did Jesus have spiritual treasures? (b) How did Jesus give of himself, and with what great benefit to others?

By teaching people about God, we help them see how they too might store up imper-ishable spiritual treasures. What greater gift could you impart? If you give a friend an ex-pensive watch, a car, or even a home, that friend will likely be grateful and happy, and you will have the joy of giving. But what will be the condition of that gift in 20 years? In 200 years? In 2,000 years? On the other hand, if you give of yourself to help a per-son serve Jehovah, he or she can benefit from that gift forever

11. Why are spiritual gifts better than material ones?

Seeking Out Those Who Want the Truth

To share in the joy of spiritual giving, Je-hovah’s people have reached out to the ends of the earth. Thousands have left home and family to take up missionary ser-vice in lands where they have had to adapt to new languages and cultures. Others have moved to areas in their own coun-tries where there is a greater need for King-dom proclaimers. Still others have learned a foreign language, opening up new opportuni-ties of preaching in their own localities to im-migrant populations. For example, after rais-ing two children who are now serving at the world headquarters of Jehovah’s Witnesses, one couple in New Jersey, U.S.A., began pio-neering and learned Chinese. Over a three-year period, they conducted Bible studies with 74 Chinese-speaking people who attend-ed a nearby college. Are you able to expand your ministry in some way in order to find more joy in the disciple-making work?

12. How have many given of themselves to help others spiritually?

13 Perhaps you yearn to conduct a Bible study but have not been able to do so. In some lands it is difficult to find interested ones. Maybe the people you meet show no in-terest in the Bible. If that is so, perhaps you can mention your desire more often in prayer, knowing that both Jehovah and Jesus Christ are keenly interested in the work and may guide you to a sheeplike person. Seek sugges-tions from those in your congregation who are more experienced or whose ministry is more fruitful. Take advantage of the training and suggestions given at Christian meetings. Benefit from the counsel of traveling over-seers and their wives. Above all, never give up. The wise man wrote: “In the morning sow your seed and until the evening do not let your hand rest; for you are not know-ing where this will have success.” (Ecclesiastes 11:6) In the meantime, remember such faith-ful men as Noah and Jeremiah. Although very few responded positively to their preach-ing, their ministry was a success. Above all, it pleased Jehovah.

13. What might you do if you would like to have a more fruitful ministry?

Doing the Best You Can

It may be that your circumstances do not permit you to do as much as you would like to in the ministry. For example, old age may lim-it what you can do in Jehovah’s service. Still, remember what the wise man wrote: “Gray-headedness is a crown of beauty when it is found in the way of righteousness.” (Proverbs 16:31) To Jehovah, a life spent in his service is beautiful. Further, the Scriptures say: “Even to one’s old age I [Jehovah] am the same One; and to one’s gray-headedness I myself shall keep bearing up. I myself shall certainly act, that I myself may carry and that I myself may bear up and furnish escape.” (Isaiah 46:4) Our loving heavenly Father promises to sustain and support his loyal ones.

14. How does Jehovah view those who have grown old in his service?

Perhaps you are coping with sickness, op-position from an unbelieving mate, heavy family responsibilities, or some other difficult problem. Jehovah recognizes our limitations and circumstances, and he loves us for our earnest efforts to serve him. That is true even though what we do may be less than what others do. (Galatians 6:4) Jehovah knows that we are imperfect, and he is realistic in what he expects of us. (Psalm 147:11) If we do our best, we may rest assured that we are precious in God’s sight and that he will not forget our acts of faith.—Luke 21: 1-4

15. Do you believe that Jehovah understands your circumstances? Why?

Remember, too, that the disciple-making work is a group effort. No one individual makes a disciple, any more than one drop of rain nourishes a plant. True, one Witness may locate an interested person and conduct a Bi-ble study. But once that new one comes to the Kingdom Hall, the whole congregation helps him or her to recognize the truth. The warmth of the brother-hood shows the influence of God’s spirit. (1 Corinthians 14:
    24, 25) Children and teenagers give stimulating comments, showing the new person that our young ones are different from the youth of the world. The sick, the infirm, and the elderly in the con-gregation teach new ones what endurance in-volves. Regardless of our age or limitations, all of us play an important part in helping new ones as their love of Bible truth deepens and they progress toward baptism. Every hour we spend in the ministry, each return visit, each conversation with an interested person at the Kingdom Hall, may seem insignificant on its own, but it is part of a mighty work that Jeho-vah is accomplishing.

16. In what way does an entire congregation share in making a disciple?

Of course, besides sharing in the impor-tant disciple-making work, we as Christians also share in the joy of giving in other ways. We can set aside funds to contribute to the support of pure worship and to help those in need. (Luke 16:9; 1 Corinthians 16:1, 2) We can look for opportunities to show hospitali-ty to others. (Romans 12:13) We can strive to “work what is good toward all, but especially toward those related to us in the faith.” (Gala-tians 6:10) And in simple yet important ways, we can give to others—a letter, a telephone call, a gift, a helping hand, a word of encour-agement.

By giving, we show that we imitate our heavenly Father. We also demonstrate our brotherly love, the identifying mark of true Christians. (John 13:35) Remembering these things can help us share in the joy of giving.

17, 18. (a) In addition to engaging in the disciple-making work, how may we share in the joy of giv-ing? (b) By sharing in the joy of giving, whom do we imitate?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit