Conversation Starters with JW Friends

by cab1000 9 Replies latest jw friends

• cab1000
    cab1000

I am always looking for "nice" things to say to my witness family. Things that would at least make them try to think outside of their box. Here are my some of my favorites.

Right now my top favorite is "Tell me truly, honestly, the God of this Universe, Almighty in Power, Lord and Master of all, All knowing, Eternal, God of Gods, (yes, hammer that point), has picked the Jehovah's Witnesses, out of ALL people, and out of ALL religions, Worldwide, to represent him and his wishes, even though, the Jehovah's witnesses have been WRONG in the past, NOW, right now, if any person on this earth, ANY person on this earth, does not pay attention to the Jehovah's Witnesses, he or she will forever be destroyed at Armeggedon? Is that how you see it? Really?"

Another related line of reasoning is "So the witnesses are led by Jehovah God right? So why were they wrong about certain dates, and certain beliefs? Then they should respond with, well, they are just men and men make mistakes. Ask, does god make mistakes? No, of course not, then again, is God leading the Faithful and Discreet Slave? It is a circle. They could not make mistakes and be led by God both.

Then there is the one I like about God, if there is a God. "God created the Universe and everything in it, there is no doubt of that. But why does he permit so much wickedness and wrongdoing, and sickness and the like? Its simple. He is there, as much as we are to the ants. When its raining, do you run out and help the ants with their flooding? Of course not, and thats because they are so tiny and so many, that we just cant care about them all. So it is with God, we are just too tiny and insignificant to care about. Thats all."

Finally, there is the other one about why God permits wickedness and death. I dont have this story just right, but I have enough of it. "As America was developing, a man moved West to find peace. He moved to a new place out west, and built a home. People began to follow him, and soon there was a number of homes being constructed in his area. Roads began to develope to handle all the traffic Soon, the townspeople came together and formed a committee. The man whom first moved out there brought up an idea to the commitee, he said 'We should have an ambulance service, so that if there happens to be a car accident, we can provide help to the victims.' The committee denied any need of such a thing. So it was dismissed, no ambulance service. Later that week, the man whose idea it was to have the ambulance service witnessed an automoble smash into an older lady crossing the street. She laid there bleeding out on the icy cold road. The man did nothing but watch. Later, the townspeople and commitee asked of him, ' why dint you do ANYTHING to help her? You could have tried something?' He simply said, 'I was simply proving my point!' And so it is with God today, proving his point with our lives"

I did not make these up, I take no credit, I am sharing them as others have shared with me....

• And1
    And1

interesting point,

God may be proving a point, my JW friends even claim God is always "testing us" to justify reality. My buddy refers back to the Garden of Eden... "If God could 'start over' what is the point of being alive"? ..."Its like having your memory erased and not knowing about it - God has nothing to hide"

As far as insignifcant as Ants go....I have no comment (fears Jehovah :P)

• Daughter of Freedom
    Daughter of Freedom

cab1000:- do you agree with those stories about ants & the ambulance?

They worry me. We are supposed to be Gods children- not ants. I would not save an ant from flooding, but I sure as hell would save my kids, infact I wouldn't even see my kids getting wet in the rain without trying to protect them. And I certainly wouldn't wana watch one of them bleed to death to prove I was right about a subject!!! Where's the love here?

As for things to discuss with JW friends- I should be so lucky! (or not!) non of my JW friends speak to me, and my folks rarely do. If I were to speak against their beleifs that would, in their eyes make me an apostate, so they would have to stop the conversation anyway!

The odd time I have had the oppurtunity to say what I have wanted has been liberating. One thing in particular was when my JW mum said it made her sick to her stomach that I celebrated Christmas. 'Why' I asked. 'Because it's pagan' she replied. I then asked her if the JWs have weddings in the KH with white dresses, veils and wedding rings. Of course they do, which she admitted. I pointed out to her that all of those things are pagan, yet the JWs practise that in their place of worship, so how the hell can they judge me for doing something in my own home?!!! Her answer was that the JWs aren't perfect- no mom, neither am I. News Flash!!!

• cab1000
    cab1000
    cab1000:- do you agree with those stories about ants & the ambulance?

About the ambulance, absolutley. We were trained that Jehovah is allowing wickedness and death to prove that he is right, and man cannot direct his own steps. Well, how kind of him to stand by and watch us suffer, when we all know the power he supposedly posseses.

About the ants, that teters on believing in God or not, and truthfully, I cannot swear that there is a God. I see creation, but no eveidence that there is a God. I.E. Why would he let us suffer really? All a test? Naaa, thats not for me, anymore.

I think these are designed to make you think, and I hope thats all. You would never not protect your children, I know, I have three myself. However, the point was that that MAYBE just MAYBE we are mere ants to God, and he has his own real children to take care of. Who knows? He is called the Father! heheehe

Thats a good comparison to make about Christmas and Weddings. That is the kind of thing I am talking about. Show them that their reasoning is off, or not founded on solid ground. I should have said that I never brought these up to my witness family, I know when to draw the line...

~cab

• mama
    mama

Interesting conversation points. One I had a conversation with my mom that left her alittle off kilter because she couldn't give a good answer. It was about blood transfusions and their belief that blood is sacred and called back by God when someone dies, therefore no blood transfusions. So I asked her if i am not worthy of the new system and will die at armageddon then why can't I take blood? I am not going to live forever and therefore He will get the blood back sooner or later. She didn't have an answer for that one. On another occasion, we were talking about Jesus's death, and she said something about the new system and that the heavenly hope was only for the anointed. So I asked her, why then, did Jesus tell the sinner being strung up beside him "i tell you this day you will be with me in paradise". Was he anointed? He was being murdered for his sins and was not a follower of Jesus, so how come he got to go to heaven? She just looked at me and said she couldn't believe the way i was thinking. Well, at least i am thinking.

• Honesty
    Honesty

She just looked at me and said she couldn't believe the way i was thinking.

They never will.

• Mary
    Mary
    out of ALL people, and out of ALL religions, Worldwide, to represent him and his wishes, even though, the Jehovah's witnesses have been WRONG in the past?

Yep. Their reasoning is right out of Hollywood: Of all the religions in all the towns in all the world, and He walks into mine.

• sweetsevda
    sweetsevda

i attend to agree with that too

• cab1000
    cab1000

Can anyone contribue more "thinking" stories ? I seem to like them. Like parables...

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

"You know, the noun "Jehovah" does not once appear in the New Testament in either the Hellenistic Greek or the Aramaic versions of Matthew."

I like that one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit