Michael Jackson biography on cable VH1

by franklin J 2 Replies latest social entertainment

• franklin J
    franklin J

I caught the biography while flipping channels last nite and was surprised how much air time was given to the teachings of Jehovahs Witnesses and speculation on how it may have impacted the later decisions Michael Jackson made in his life. It portrayed Jackson the child as a victim of --not only the rigid teachings of Jehovahs Witnesses; also an abusive father ; dysfunctional family and the demanding rigors of a successful child performer; no childhood at all.

Bill Bowen was interviewd and the life of a dedicated JW was accurately portrayed.

The timing of this biography seemed to be very coincidental to the Jackson trials beginning on the West coast and I could not help but wonder if this ENTIRE biography was a propaganda put up by the Jackson legal team.

Either way; the Jehovahs Witnesses; having been portrayed in such a "draconian" light; will no doubt be condemning this non welcomed publicity ( I am sure they have LONG AGO condemned Michael Jackson) and unfortunatly this entire Michael Jackson saga plays into their scheme;

"look what happens to you when you leave Jehovah...." this is a real textbook example

It would never be acknowledged or admitted that their own teachings and a severe dysfunctional childhood could be responsible.

Any other reactions to this?

• new light
    new light

I was surprised too at how much time was spent on the JW upbringing. The narrative was a little odd, IMO, in that it used phrases like "breaking Jehovah's law" or "displeasing Jehovah" directly, as if the narrator was talking to another JW. All in all, it was a very accurate portrayal of the realities of growing up in the org. Rest assured the faithful will accuse VH1 of being biased or of spewing lies and that this documentary shows how close the End is, but it was, for the most part, fair journalism.

• jimbob
    jimbob

The wife and I finally got to watch it last night. Many things that were mentioned about the constraints of the religion hit home, especially with my wife who has a father similar to Joe Jackson. He's an elder who rules with an iron fist.

I agree that everything about JW's was accurately portrayed. Some said that Bill Bowen exaggerated about being able to be df'd for talking on the phone to a member of the opposite sex. While this might be a slight exaggeration, it depends on what they are talking about. If they are talking about school, music, etc..then no, they wouldn't be disfellowshipped. They might get a talking to from their parents or the elders who would consider that dating, but no disfellowshipping.

Of course, if they are on the phone having phone sex, then yes, they could be disfellowshipped. So what Bill Bowen said is accurate under the right circumstances. However, everything else he said is dead-on!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit