Texas JW Teen says education isn't first priority - but she's lucky...

by TresHappy 7 Replies latest social family

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

At least she's in college....

Mercedes valedictorian finding further success at TSTC
    February 02,2005
    David Place
    Mid Valley Town Crier

Lorena Peña is proving she can make the grade. The 18-year-old student at the Harlingen campus of Texas State Technical College was valedictorian of Mercedes High School in 2004. Her academic success is continuing at the college level.

Peña is enrolled in her second semester in the legal secretary program at TSTC and recently was named student of the month for January.

A lifelong resident of Mercedes, Peña both studies and works in Harlingen. Working part-time as a telemarketer for West Corp., she diligently stays the course for self-improvement, although her future plans are flexible.

Peña said she chose the legal secretary program at TSTC after discussing her education plans with her family. She had other college plans, but her parents persuaded her to take another course of study.

"I chose the legal secretary program because it was either that or culinary arts. My parents thought that I should use my brain more. I didn?t have a set plan."

Peña?s grades continue to stand out in college. TSTC officials had tried to name her student of the month during her first semester, but a miscommunication delayed the award.

"Dave Ralph (TSTC communications writer) tried to contact me at the beginning of my first semester. He e-mailed me but I didn?t get it. At the start of my second semester, he e-mailed me again," Peña said.

Peña still hasn?t made up her mind about the future, but her interest in law may be cultivated over the course of her program of study enough to encourage her to move on with her education.

"By the time I graduate, I might consider going for a bachelor?s in paralegal, but I?m not sure," she said.

Peña said she works hard and hopes some day to get an internship with a law firm. But those are not her prime concerns in life. She derives strength from her religious convictions and has chosen to devote herself to a higher cause.

"As a Jehovah?s Witness, education isn?t my priority. It?s not going to be the most important part of my life," Peña said.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

oh f*ck them... I wonder how she'll feel about this decision in 10 years!

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

Yes, re interview her in 10 years.

• Valis
    Valis
    Peña said she works hard and hopes some day to get an internship with a law firm.

at least she will be working for the devil! bwahahaha!

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

Here's a photo of Lorena...poor JW teen

• beebee
    beebee

The really sad part is that in Texas, any kid graduating in the top 10% of their class can attend ANY of the public universities on a guaranteed admission. So this poor girl is stuck studying fairly low paying (as compared to options with a BA) professions at a JC in a podunk town, when she could have selected from institutions like UT or Texas A&M. Odds are that with her grades, she would have gotten all the financial aid she needed too.

Why paralegal (which are hard jobs to get btw) when she could have just been a lawyer? Heck even the WT needs lawyers!

• Valis
    Valis

beebee...One might guess though that her parental units didn't do any of that planning for the future stuff like saving for the kid's college....it reminds me of my mom when she came to see my kids during the holidays...she asks me..."so when are you going to get life insurance to protect your children?"...I nearly busted a gut! *LOL* That coming from someone who NEVER had life insurance, and only recently started saving for retirement...Life goes on and the repercussions of living your life for a religion become more obvious all the time...

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Oh, well. You can lead a horse to water but...

Jean

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit