Jehovah or Jahwe??

by mgm 9 Replies latest jw friends

• mgm
    mgm

Is it important to call god by his right name?
    If so, Jehovahs witness should change to Jahwes Witness.
    It is no doubt among scientist anymore, that Jahwe is the right form of gods name. Jehovah is a wrong spelling from the midleage time. I just read a book about the scrolls of Qumram and the latest level of biblical history.

Severel question arise:
    Why didn't god guide his "organisation" early century to use his right name?
    How can that be gods organisation, if already the name is wrong?

What are your opinions about??

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Sounds like "new light" to me. Are you planning to forward the research on to the GB?

Heck....they can just call themselves Dubbies....that should cover every permutation.

• mgm
    mgm

I have no doubt that they know that very well, since they get that kind of research magazin to the bethel.
    I was always told, it could be Jehovah or Jahwe, we don't know it anymore nowaday.
    But scientific research from the last years brought clearness into the matter.

• Tishie
    Tishie

I read that it was actually more correct to be spelled and pronounced as Yahweh.. since there was no J type letter or sound in Hebrew.

I have my own theory on this too.

1.) Ask a person who has never had any JW involvement and doesn't know you have what they think of when you say, "Jehovah."

(I've done this.. everyone so far says "Jehovah's Witnesses" or "those guys who knock on your door" etc)

2.) Ask that same person this: "When I say, 'Jehovah's Witnesses,' do you have a positive, negative, or neutral reaction?"

(One person said neutral. Others said that it was at least slightly negative, since they hide from them and such)

Okay, now think about what this means. When people hear the word, "Jehovah" they think of the JWs which brings a negative feeling to mind.

So, are JWs GLORIFYING and SANCTIFYING the name of God, or are they DEFILING it?

I think it is obvious that they are defiling it. How do you think Jehovah would feel about this? I mean, more mainstream Christian religions that USED to use the name Jehovah on a regular basis have since stopped, by and large.

The Catholics have not stopped using Yahweh, however. Wouldn't it be ironic if the most villified religion in Jehovah's Witness-Land was actually the one pleasing God the most?

Oh dear.

Tishie
    Tishie

• Andyman
    Andyman

The society always makes a big deal about them being the "only" ones who used the right name. Of course even they admit that their version wasn't the most widely used:

"*** it-2 7 Jehovah ***
    Hebrew scholars generally favor “Yahweh” as the most likely pronunciation. They point out that the abbreviated form of the name is Yah (Jah in the Latinized form), as at Psalm 89:8 and in the expression Ha·lelu-Yah' (meaning “Praise Jah, you people!”)."

Once again it just seems like the society has to be different than anyone else. Using the name "Jehovah" helps them with this attitude.

Take care.

Andyman:

Edited by - Andyman on 22 August 2000 17:24:0

• Zep
    Zep

Tishie,

1.) Ask a person who has never had any JW involvement and doesn't know you have what they think of when you say, "Jehovah."

Most people know NOTHING about dubs, actually thats the vast vast majority of people in fact.Yeah, they think when you say 'JEHOVAH WITNESS' something like..."oh those guys who knock on your door"...and they might know about the fact that they refuse blood tranfusions if your lucky.A few days ago, my brother asked about the difference between Moroms and JW's...He said "Jw's dont believe in Jesus do they?"...To anyone outside and not aquainted with Dub doctrine, the name JW has very weird connotations!.A lot of people arn't aware that you guys are Christians.I had to set him straight...and told him all the dirt!.No one knows anything about JW's and the WT is always ranting about how they are preaching the message world wide and fulfilling bible prophecy huh!

The idea that because you use someones personnal name therefore in some way proves you are divinely approved is just absurd.I mean, did the apostles refer to Jesus by using his personnel name,,,i think they called him master and rabbi a bit, does that mean they were anyless approved by Jesus, anyless loved by him?.Faith without works is dead,i mean, satan would have to know Gods name and use it,,,does that mean he is approved by him?...i dont think so!

Edited by - Zep on 22 August 2000 23:10:1

• Tishie
    Tishie

I actually did a very small, very informal, very unscientific phone poll. I called 7 people and then lost my nerve. I also have asked people I've met in various situations.. probably totalling 20 people. It is TRUE that most of the people know nothing specific about the religion, but they DO associate the word, "Jehovah" with the Jehovah's Witnesses, even though most of them do not even know what the word Jehovah means.

So, basically, IMO, they have taken god's name (supposedly) for themselves and then proceeded to ruin it.

If there is a god, and he is the god of the OT, I expect he's going to be mighty mad at the JWs. If he's alive and still noticing us down here.

What do you think?

• mgm
    mgm

The WTS wrote:
    Hebrew scholars generally favor “Yahweh” as the most likely pronunciation. They point out that the abbreviated form of the name is Yah (Jah in the Latinized form), as at Psalm 89:8 and in the expression Ha·lelu-Yah' (meaning “Praise Jah, you people!”)."

Thats typical WTS argumentation. They do not only favor Yaweh, they agree that Jehovah is wrong.
    Probabely they took that out of an last century book...
    But since the WTS care about every detail in order to worship god accurate, wouldn't it be time to change to new knowledge??

• Zep
    Zep
    So, basically, IMO, they have taken god's name (supposedly) for themselves and then proceeded to ruin it.

If there is a god, and he is the god of the OT, I expect he's going to be mighty mad at the JWs. If he's alive and still noticing us down here.

What do you think?

Like with all religion i think, hes gunna be mad.

• Xandit
    Xandit

There's pretty good evidence based on computerized linguistcs that it should be a three syllable name. Something like Ye-ho-wah. There was some information on it in Biblical Archaeologist last year I think and it's been mentioned in a couple of books.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit