shunning

by Phil 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Phil
    Phil

I recently got into a discussion regarding shunning in the JWS. I have a few questions in this regard.

Does JWs tell their people that there are certain people should be shunned?

Who are the people that should be shunned? Non JW relatives of members? Disfellowshipped members? How about members that elect to just vanish and not attend the meetings anymore?

How about a members non JW relative that is born out of wedlock? Would he or she be shunned?

What happens when a marriage of a JW couple with children, one of the couple gets disfellowshipped, what happens to the child visiting rights of the disfellowed person?

Is there any formal document that spells out these scenarios?

• pr_capone
    pr_capone

Does JWs tell their people that there are certain people should be shunned?

yes, though it can be a personal decision as well

Who are the people that should be shunned? Non JW relatives of members? Disfellowshipped members? How about members that elect to just vanish and not attend the meetings anymore?

Those who should be shunned are people who are disfellowshipped and/or disasociated. Those who have been reproved or are inactive are considered iffy. Non witness family is a completely different beast. Association with them is not expressely banned, limited association with them is greatly encouraged. Dont forget that bad association spoils useful habbits... that includes family.

How about a members non JW relative that is born out of wedlock? Would he or she be shunned?

Not any more or less than any other non JW relative.

What happens when a marriage of a JW couple with children, one of the couple gets disfellowshipped, what happens to the child visiting rights of the disfellowed person?

The JW family of one who has been disfellowshipped can continue speaking to that person as long as it is not about biblical matters. I may be incorrect in this part, but I believe this is limited only to immediate family.

Is there any formal document that spells out these scenarios?

I'm sure there is, I'll let someone else get that for you because I no longer have access to that literature.

Kansas District Overbeer

• tepic
    tepic

km 8/02 p. 3 Display Christian Loyalty When a Relative Is Disfellowshipped

Hence, we also avoid social fellowship with an expelled person. This would rule out joining him in a picnic, party, ball game, or trip to the mall or theater or sitting down to a meal with him either in the home or at a restaurant.

4 What about speaking with a disfellowshipped person? While the Bible does not cover every possible situation, 2 John 10 helps us to get Jehovah?s view of matters: "If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, never receive him into your homes or say a greeting to him." Commenting on this, The Watchtower of September 15, 1981, page 25, says: "A simple ?Hello? to someone can be the first step that develops into a conversation and maybe even a friendship. Would we want to take that first step with a disfellowshiped person?"

13 After hearing a talk at a circuit assembly, a brother and his fleshly sister realized that they needed to make adjustments in the way they treated their mother, who lived elsewhere and who had been disfellowshipped for six years. Immediately after the assembly, the man called his mother, and after assuring her of their love, he explained that they could no longer talk to her unless there were important family matters requiring contact.

14 Loyally upholding the disfellowshipping arrangement outlined in the Scriptures demonstrates our love for Jehovah

As with many things, this goes way beyond the scriptures

• tepic
    tepic
    WT '88 4/15

Cutting off from the Christian congregation does not involve immediate death, so family ties continue. Thus, a man who is disfellowshipped or who disassociates himself may still live at home with his Christian wife and faithful children. -----Yet, since his being disfellowshipped does not end their blood ties or marriage relationship, normal family affections and dealings can continue.

The situation is different if the disfellowshipped or disassociated one is a relative living outside the immediate family circle and home. It might be possible to have almost no contact at all with the relative. Even if there were some family matters requiring contact, this certainly would be kept to a minimum, in line with the divine principle: "Quit mixing in company with anyone called a brother that is a fornicator or a greedy person [or guilty of another gross sin], . . . not even eating with such a man."?1 Corinthians 5:11.

Understandably, this may be difficult because of emotions and family ties, such as grandparents? love for their grandchildren. Yet, this is a test of loyalty to God,

Don't you just love 'em?

• TheEdge
    TheEdge
    Who are the people that should be shunned?

I believe it's just disfellowshipped ones who 'should' be shunned - but in my PERSONAL experience, I have been shunned after simply not attending anymore (only by a particular few). I think they're a Law unto themselves.

• FairMind
    FairMind

Strictly speaking, those who are officially to be shunned are the disfellowshipped and disassociated ones. What about child visitation rights for a DF/DA person? That?s really a legal matter. If I was a DF/DA person and my legal visitation rights were infringed upon, I would be suing someone. It is also good to keep in mind that a grandparent has certain legal visitation rights as well. FairMind

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit