My situation

by The Grand Poobah 6 Replies latest jw friends

• The Grand Poobah
    The Grand Poobah

About the begginning of last year I was just getting out of depression, and was having serious doubts about "the truth" seeing how i was never really involved in it I felt as though it didnt help me through my depression. I currently am 18 and still live with my parents who are still going to meetings. I go with them to the meetings when I am not working, but I am going mostly for them, and i dont think they know that I am even slightly interested in the religion(I am not even baptised). But they are still insisting that I go. The main reason I was so happy in the org. was because my 2 best friends were there. But now that they are all gone i have no reason to be there and it is not helping me in anyway. My best friends; one is now married for half a year now and had to move away, the other is disfellowshipped with something involving another guy in our congr. (They are completely forbidden on any contact, i suspect homosexuality, [which im not really for or against]) Both are devout JW, though the disfellowshipped one is trying to get reinstated.

Me on the otherhand, am currently going to school for an associates degree in multimedia, a girlfriend whom I believe will spend the rest of my life with (shes not JW) and a handful of non JW friends. I plan moving with her to canada as soon as my schooling is done. I dont really have any friends in my congr. don't have any desire whatsoever to remain going to the meetings, but i dont want to dissappoint my family. What do you think I should do? My parents don't know i plan to move away, or how i feel about JW's.

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

I plan moving with her to canada as soon as my schooling is done.

hum ... sounds cool !!!

I don't know what you should do ... but you are not supposed to live for your parents satisfaction

Welcome !!!

• Gill
    Gill

Welcome!

Keep smiling nicely at your parents and move on when you're ready!

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

Welcome!! Move to Canada! It's awesome in the great white north.

• under74
    under74

Welcome to the forum.
    Well, no one can really tell you what to do, though you might want to take a couple steps back to figure out exactly what you want. But with your parents I would say that yeah, you shouldn't do what they want just in order to please them but if conflict arises from this try to go easy on them. Chances are since you're not baptised they won't shun you but you don't want to give them an excuse, right?
    Just take it easy and figure out exactly what steps you want to take next and how to take those steps.

I hope to see more posts from you soon.

All the best

• NewLight2
    NewLight2

Hi and welcome to JWD!
    You might want to check out these web pages:

Jehovah's Witnesses: A Critical Analysis

A Bible Study Outline

These two contain many links to important information regarding the Watchtower Society.

NewLight2's Links Page

Johannes Greber's Home Page

Here is one that deals with Mind Control and Cults
    Mind Control - The BITE Model

• jgnat
    jgnat

You know, we all end up disappointing our family one way or another. It is like a "rite of passage" growing up, establishing our independence, declaring who we are. It is too bad that there is such a terrible price for such independence amongst the JW's.

It sounds like you know who you are and what you love to do. Along with your studies and time with your girlfriend, why not spend some time reading and researching what you do believe about life, away from the Watchtower society? I understand that "Crisis of Conscience" is an excellent starter book for exiting JW's. Other than that, the sky is the limit.

The reason I suggest a bit of personal soul searching, is that there is a world of difference between knowing what we don't want, to walking towards what we do want. Find out what you really want out of life.

By the way, your schooling sounds fascinating! What could you become with that degree?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit