Fox's 24 and similarities with JWs

by doinmypart 3 Replies latest social entertainment

• doinmypart
    doinmypart

If you live outside the U.S. and haven't seen Season 4 this post contains spoilers.

Do you watch Fox's 24 with Kiefer Sutherland? The first two seasons were excellent; seasons 3 & 4 are still entertaining, but not quite believable. That aside I noticed some similarities in recent shows.

The Muslim Immigrant parents forbid their teenage son from dating an American girl. The teenage son has been living a double-life and secretly dating the American girl. The parents find out and kill the girl. The father thinks that living in America has changed his son, and now his son no longer believes in "the cause". Because of this the father sends his son off to be killed. The mother is torn over her husband's decision since this is their son, their flesh & blood.

In JW world: JW parents forbid teenager from dating "worldly" person or even dating at all. Teenager lives double-life secretly dating or doing something else forbidden by WT. Parents think going to school/participating in extra-curricular activities will change child, 1 Cor. 15:33. When the child stops believing in the "cause/truth", the child is DF/shunned/viewed as dead. One parent may staunchly uphold disfellowshipping, while the other parent is torn because this is their child.

Every time I watch the show with my wife and the subject matter deals with this family it is hard for me to keep from pointing out the similarities to my wife. But I keep them to myself, after all I don't want to ruin a quiet evening at home.

dmp

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

My husband is a 24 addict. He loves that show. It's a bit too unrealistic for me, I keep seeing illogical things like the last episode I told him, "hummph the President of the US gives up on the Secretary of Defense, the SOD himself gives up and tries to commit suicide, but Jack Bauer NEVER gives up and single handedly rushes in as the only one that can save the SOD!!!" It's just too far fetched.

Anyways, it's all about being a religious fanatic. I am non-religious and married a man who was raised Baptist. We get a long wonderfully. Why can't people of other faiths marry? Is that because that would be promoting tolerance and love?

That is NOT what the WTS wants... no tolerance!!!! Everyone else gets destroyed and that is final!!!!!

• doinmypart
    doinmypart

Pink

Your reply reminded me of an Awake article dealing with tolerance.This is from Jan 8, 1999 Awake back when the Org was in bed with the UN:

The UN publication Elimination of All Forms of Intolerance and Discrimination Based on Religion or Belief lists ignorance and lack of understanding as being ?among the most important root causes of intolerance and discrimination in the matter of religion and belief.? ... ?Education may be the prime means of combating discrimination and intolerance,? ... ?education for tolerance should aim at countering influences that lead to fear and exclusion of others, and should help young people to develop capacities for independent judgement, critical thinking and ethical reasoning.?

This article stayed with me because I was surprised the Writing department would put something like this in an article when they hypocritically don't follow the advice.

• Neo
    Neo

doinmypart,

Great quote!!!

education for tolerance should aim at countering influences that lead to fear and exclusion of others, and should help young people to develop capacities for independent judgement, critical thinking and ethical reasoning

Simply unbelievable. Judged by their approval of the above words.

Neo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit