Saturday morning JW knock knock

by FirstLastName 7 Replies latest jw experiences

• FirstLastName
    FirstLastName

I was home on Saturday morning, around 10:30 a.m. when I heard my doorbell ring. I checked my security monitor and could see two JW women at my door. I breathed in deeply.My husband works a graveyard shift and was sleeping.

Historically, the JW's in my neighborhood only knock or ring once. I know why too, cause like me, when I was going door to door, I really didn't want to talk to anyone. I wanted to leave quickly, count my time and not bother anyone.

I was counting on this and hoping they would not wake my sleeping partner, by ringing the doorbell again. My dogs were already restless cause someone was at the door and they could tell.

RING RING - UGH!!!!

I rushed to the door, opened it and wedged myself in the door way so the dogs would not slip out. Two women were there, the one that was holding the magazines was very nervous. Her voice quivered and as she spoke to me she showed me a page in the Watchtower and read a quote.

I told them I was not interested and that my husband sleeps during the day "so please mark me as a Do Not Call in the future". They were very polite and smiled and said no problem.

I closed the door and immediately felt so conflicted. I was angry when I went to the door. Angry cause they could wake my husband and because I know TTATT. But then I quickly was very sad. That was ME for the first 20 years of my life. Nervous, not really wanting to talk to anyone, not wanting to piss anyone off (by waking sleeping people in the house). Many are just victims like I was. Like my mom still is. 

I would never want anyone to yell or be rude to my mom at the door.

I am sure almost everyone on this forum has experienced this at some point so I am sure this is not a huge revelation. Even when I leave the Witnesses so far behind me, they still find a way to bring up old feelings.

Fortunately when I husband woke that evening, he had not heard the doorbell at all and we had a good chat about the experience.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    So happy to not be that person. All my years working out with bros and sisters, most people never enjoyed going out. They would try to have fun but deep down no one really wants to irritate people in the AM. Especially elders, they would do everything they could to not do D2D. 
  • Godsendconspirator
    Godsendconspirator
    Word. I always want to say something when I pass by the JWs with their cart of magazines and books in the street. But I don't. It's sad to see them waste away.
  • LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Its a cluster-bleep for all involved.  Them.  Us.  And the rest of the world who knows little to nothing of this silly cult.

I wish they would just join the rest of humanity.  

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

True point!

I see the ones pointlessly manning the carts now , and I don't feel like interacting with them!

I feel embarrassed FOR them, as I know what an outsider thinks of the "stupid cart people" 

(and Im still in at this stage!!),  

• jhine
    jhine

Reading these posts I get the feeling that even when you were " in " you were not convinced of the truth of the message you were taking door to door . Or did you feel that there were better ways of communicating the message ?

Jan

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie
    It is a bit strange that ALL door-to-door JWs than are mentioned here, are like these, "Two women were there, the one that was holding the magazines was very nervous. Her voice quivered and as she spoke to me she showed me a page in the Watchtower and read a quote." They are always very nervous, have nothing to say, and just push magazines. Strange. Very different from the ones I encounter. But then maybe your stories are a bit "coloured"?
  • JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I don't know, TOH, when I was a JW, I was always the subordinate one and I was always nervous about the approach. Nowadays. how much more does the JW have to fear besides "I am not interested"-or the dog!  There are a lot of actual opposers with information. Churches do seminars now on how to meet JWs at the door. One thing I think is a wrong approach that the WT has is the TMS. Grading and judging people on how they tell the good news? Can you imagine Jesus going through all the hoops of trying to teach his disciples how to give a proper "witness" by cautioning them about their dress, tone, modulation of their voice. . . Things that go viral are not usually carefully scripted and professional, they are totally unguarded,, unprofessional, usually sincere (or funny), heart touching kind of things-that don't come in a script. Christianity went "viral" and it wasn't because any of them were particularly skilled speakers. Word of mouth and real sincere belief did it.   Nowadays JWs know to some extent that they are just fertilizing machines. They spread manure. It's nothing to do with Jesus or even with a message to the world. They are obligated. 

WTs have actually said that folks responding to the message doesn't matter so much as their proving their obedience to deliver it. Jaw flapping just to prove you are flapping your jaws isn't much about giving a heartfelt message. Hard to get into that kind of thing, much.

The only time we see folks at the door is during the campaigns where they are just shoving an invite at us and are not interested in speaking. I have tried to engage them, even, and they are not interested -they wanted to speak to our spanish speaking neighbors (need greaters? They spoke English like natives, it was weird).

I haven't seen any of the carts, just the few at the doors-and they have covered our neighborhood twice in the last year which is much better than some I have lived in for years without ever seeing a JW in FS at my door-and I lived right down the street from the KH (I almost didn't buy the house for that reason)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit