Tell me what are the Tories are about...

by Spartacus 6 Replies latest social current

• Spartacus
    Spartacus

Please give me your opinion what the Tory (not sure of the spelling) Party is about. It is the conservative party in the UK, what is your opinion of it? If they had things their way what would UK be like today if they dominated for the last 10 years or so? Do you think the UK is better off with the Labour Party or any other political party, why?

Thanks, Spartacus

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

Hmmm thats a tough Question .

8 Years ago when labour were elected,it seemed like a breath of fresh air.The tories arrogance,corruption and greed had pissed off too many People...and Tony and the Boys seemed soooo very sincere and Reformist.Nowadays imvho ,the same faults are very much with new Labour..and thats not even including the illegal war in Iraq!

Nowadays,the Conservatives are arguably the third biggest Party in Britain after labour and Liberal.The new unveiling of the Tories hardline immigration policy may backfire even more (the leaders Parents were refugees themselves).

They have always been seen as the more Middle class,value led Party.But the future doesnt seem too bright at the Minute.

As for whether things would have been any differant if Conservatives had ruled for the last 10 Years?Nah,probably not.

Dont matter who you vote for,you always end up with the Government.

Just my 2 cents as you might say over there.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Two British leaders admired and respected by many Americans are Margaret Thatcher and Sir Winston Churchill - both were Tories and in fact leaders of the Tory party

• Spartacus
    Spartacus

What other political parties have major influence in the UK? What are you Brits going to do when the Muslims form their own political party as they did in the Netherlands? You gonna kiss up and bend over for them because that is what they expect and with so many faithful Islamics who seem to thrive there it won't be long. In Europe the Churches are empty on Sunday but the Mosques are FULL on Friday. Good luck to you because you will need it.

• Spartacus
    Spartacus
    Two British leaders admired and respected by many Americans are Margaret Thatcher and Sir Winston Churchill - both were Tories and in fact leaders of the Tory party

Thanks stillajwxelder (me too), it is true that both are respected very much here in the states. Thanks for the info do you have more light to shine on the Tory Party? What caused them to fall out of favor?

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl
    What are you Brits going to do when the Muslims form their own political party as they did in the Netherlands? You gonna kiss up and bend over for them because that is what they expect and with so many faithful Islamics who seem to thrive there it won't be long. In Europe the Churches are empty on Sunday but the Mosques are FULL on Friday. Good luck to you because you will need it.

The Respect Unity Coalition is currently the nearest we have to a political party for Muslims. It is a very minor party. It grew out of the anti-war movement. I would be happy to see more power for a party whose stated policies include "Opposition to all forms of discrimination based on race, gender, ethnicity, religious beliefs (or lack of them), sexual orientation, disabilities, national origin or citizenship. The right to self-determination of every individual in relation to their religious (or non-religious) beliefs, as well as sexual choices."

Where I live, the churches are full on a Sunday. Thanks for your concern.

What other political parties have major influence in the UK?

The Labour Party is in government, that's a fairly major influence. The Liberal Democrats have always been the third party behind the Conservatives and Labour, but as Labour's policies become indistinguishable from Tory policies, and the Conservatives make themselves look sillier and sillier with endless internal wrangling and leadership disputes, the Lib Dems are moving into second place behind Labour.

There are dozens of other political parties: Plaid Cymru, Ulster Unionist, Sinn Fein, Scottish National Party, some of whom have seats in parliament, some of whom have seats on National Assemblies or the European Parliament.

More info here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/political_links/81344.stm

• Spartacus
    Spartacus

Fe2O3Girl

That is good news and we need more inclusive political parties. Thanks for the info. My daughter and I was in London March 2003 and I was treated very well. People bought me and I bought them plenty of pints of beer. That stuff is strong and taste great, LOL :) During my stay the US/UK military was fast tracking into Southern Iraq and Baghdad and we were glued to the TV watching Sky News. I was really impressed with London and I still carry my Tube pass in my wallet I took plenty of pictures and I saw protesters of the war nearly each day I was there :D

Good luck to you all and I wish nothing but the best to you across the pond.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit