Was Johnny Carson pro JW?

by HappyDad 33 Replies latest jw friends

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the answers.

steve2....

The story about Glen Campbell was a little different around my area. It was told that he had studied with the JW's and when it came time to make a decission about baptism, he wouldn't do it. So he wrote Rhinestone Cowboy as his testimony. Who knows? Confused

Peppermint....

On a similar note anyone remember Earth Wind and Fire. I was told by a brother that went to one of their concerts that they made an announcement to the effect of:

?Any Jehovah?s Witness in the audience leave now or be prepared to be demonised?

I heard this one too.

HappyDad

• HappyDad
  • TresHappy
    TresHappy

That John Denver urban legend is the first rumor I heard when I came into the organization. I really thought John Denver hated me and my religion. However, I still loved his music. I believe Johnny Carson loved poking fun at the JW's and he would often make fun of them in his monologues. But Jay Leno has made fun of them also...lots of people make fun of them!

• freedom96
    freedom96

Comedians make jokes of nearly everything, so even if Carson told a few Witness jokes, it doesn't automatically mean that he did or did not like them.

I had heard that John Denver was not a fan of witnesses for their stance of neutrality. He was very patriotic. I went to a John Denver concert, and he never brought witnesses up at all.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Well, as far as I know, the story about John Denver hating Witnesses is not true, so I doubt if the Johnny Carson story is true either.

As I understand it, at one of his concerts, John Denver was going to sing the national anthem or some other patriotic song. So, he mentioned that if there are any JWs in the audience, they might want to step outside (don't forget that JWs have scrupulously stepped outside when the anthem is being played for decades). This got convoluted into him booting out all JWs from his concerts.

In all likelihood, even the above story might not be true.

JWs have an over-inflated opinion of their importance in the world. Johnny Carson and John Denver probably barely knew they existed.

• FairMind
    FairMind

I believe the Johnny Carson/John Denver Story and the story about John Denver asking JWs to leave his concerts. Two of the posters have given eyewitness testimony to these stories. I have heard both stories before and supposedly an acquaintance of mine who is now a P.O. has a tape of the Johnny Carson show episode where Carson asked Denver to leave.

Something I can’t confirm but have heard is that John Denver’s first wife, (I think it was Annie?) had become a JW and her conversion to the faith caused so much strife in the marriage that it led to their divorce. True? I don’t know. FM

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

As for Glen Campbell, I recall at the international convention in Vancouver in 1969, word went around that Glen was at the convention and was going to get baptized there.

By the way, that convention was 7 or 8 days long, and was so big that it was held at both Empire Stadium and the Pacific Colliseum simulaneously. Truly a testiment to God's blessing.

One of the conventioners was killed. She was taking a shortcut accross the PNE grounds, next to Empire Stadium, and got hit by a roller coaster. And, that story is actually true.

• steve2
    steve2

Earlier postings mentioned Johnny Carson and others weaving jokes about JWs into their sketches, along no doubt with a host of other groups and topics. That's part of what being different is about and jokes about different beliefs and lifestyles can be really funny. What isn't funny is the original posting about John Denver asking JWs to stand and leave. But, as someone else wrote, sometimes stories do get taken out of context. I remember at High School one of my teachers said to me in fron of my class that I might want to leave the room before the national anthem was played. I felt embarrassed and slunk out of the room very red faced. But on reflection, that teacher may well have been doing it out of consideration for me. By the way, I had also heard that Glen Campbell had been studying with the JWs in the late 1960s.

• AshtonCA
    AshtonCA

Hi all, this is my first time posting here.

I am an x-jw who was one for 23 years, my parents were for 45+ years and my entire family left 10 years ago. I was actually df'd because I chose my boyfriend over the truth, but then after I got married, I tried to come back and did for a little while, but then my whole family got fed up with the misteachings and we all left and am glad for it.

As for the truth behind this legend, yes it is true, I saw and remember the episode quite well. I remember how my whole family used to listen to JD and had his albums, and then when this happened, it tainted our enjoyment of his albums and we through away his 8 tracks and never listend to him again.

Ashton

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I don't think this has to do with Carson being pro or ani-JW. I'm guessing he kicked Denver off his show to prove what an asshole Denver was kicking JWs out of his concerts. For once, Denver got his ass kicked out instead of the JWs.

If anything, Carson was against singling people out because of their religious beliefs.

Carson was also a fantastic entertainer. Jay Leno sucks at filling his shoes. RIP Johnny.

On a similar note anyone remember Earth Wind and Fire. I was told by a brother that went to one of their concerts that they made an announcement to the effect of:

?Any Jehovah?s Witness in the audience leave now or be prepared to be demonised?

Okay, that's just funny! I'll have to steal that one when I become a famous rock star. :P

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit