Copyright - it's a fine line!

by TheEdge 1 Replies latest jw friends

• TheEdge
    TheEdge

Trust me to lose the link again! Was reading on here this morning about WTBTS and their copyrighting (and rightly so - after all, no one else would want to take credit for this crap) their publications.....and I got to thinking (yes, I KNOW I shouldn't, but am allowed to now) what about using quotes from the NWT ???? Is it WATCHTOWER copyrighted (is that a word?) OR is it the Word of God? eeeeek, put me out of my misery!

• jgnat
    jgnat

Authors are allowed to get compensation for their creativity. The New World Translation (NWT), copyrighted 1984, by rights has enough creative translation included for it to be considered a creative work. There are other modern translations who similarly hold back unbridled access to their works, including the NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®. Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 International Bible Society.

That doesn't mean we can't quote portions of their work for comment or criticism, as long as we properly attribute the source.

It is frustrating that I cannot compare on the internet, line by line, the creative work of the NWT alongside other modern translations.

http://bible.gospelcom.net

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit