Lawyers Who Deal With Disfellowshipping

by dh 7 Replies latest jw friends

  • dh

    Is there a directory of lawyers who have experience in helping JW's with Judicial DF'ing issues?

    What I mean by helping, is a lawyer who knows the DF procedure, and will inform the Elders that he/she will be attending the Judicial meeting with the person etc. If the Elders refuse point blank to allow it, then a lawyer who knows how to pressure them so that they cannot announce the disfellowshipping or ever speak about it, as it would be slander would be very useful.

    I think that there should be (may already be) lawyers out there who up to speed on this, and if they aren't, they should be brought up to speed by us, the Ex JW community on what to expect from Judicial meetings, and on the whole JW procedure of disfellowshipping etc. Whether someone writes an in depth open source document directed at lawyers explaining the whole deal, a document that is freely available to anyone. Available in that they can download a copy, print it and take it to any lawyer, who on reading it will have a good idea of what is going on, rather than a lay person trying to explain the whole cult of JW's to a lawyer who knows nothing about it, a document that is designed to bring a person with no JW experience up to speed on the whole issue of Disfellowshipping, and put it in legal context.

    I think it would help people, both to have a document to give to lawyers, and to have a directory of lawyers who have worked on previous cases. Maybe it's making a big deal out of it, but since being DF'd can destroy a persons life, a bit of experienced legal advice could be make or break.

    Anyway, does anyone have any thoughts on this...?

  • Golf

    The wording on the baptism question about org. gives them the power to disfellowship you. The org makes sure their protected against lawsuits, so, they inserted the org. in their baptism questionaire. Your baptism date is recorded. Don't forget, they have a battery of lawyers too.


  • pepheuga

    but i was baptised at 15 years of age! could law really be applied in a matter that turned on a "decision" made by a fifteen year old?


  • Gadget

    The way to deal with this is to have a lawyer accompany you to the judicial committee meeting, or to carry a tape recorder with you. They will refuse to conduct the hearing in those circumstances, so you give them a legal letter informing that you are fully prepared to meet with them but only in appropriate circumstances (ie, recorded or with a lawyer) and if try to take any action against you without first meeting with you then you will sue them individually for slander and defamation of character. Make sure you state that you do not want to be disfellowshipped and are not dissassociating yourself. Most elders would back off at this, classing you as an apostate but not take any formal action.

  • JustTickledPink

    when was that word Organization inserted into the baptism question?

  • IT Support
    IT Support

    *** w85 6/1 p. 30 Subjecting Ourselves to Jehovah by Dedication ***

    At the close of the convention baptism talk, the baptism candidates will be in position to answer with depth of understanding and heartfelt appreciation two simple questions that serve to confirm that they recognize the implications of following Christ?s example. The first question is:

    On the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will?

    The second is:

    Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah?s Witnesses in association with God?s spirit-directed organization?

    Having answered yes to these questions, candidates are in a right heart condition to undergo Christian baptism.

  • seeitallclearlynow

    One would think that a child who made the life-altering "decision" to become one of Jehovah's Witnesses and who answered the old baptism questions so many years ago, before the word "organization" was presumptuously written in to replace "in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit", would have some kind of legal grounds to prevent the rabid JW treatment of exiting or former members.

    I was 16 and was supposedly baptized in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, not the organization.

  • Amazing1914


    Go to the "Guide to Attorneys" in your Yellow Pages. It will have attorneys listed by category of law practiced. You will not find an attorney that has handled a specific case, but the categories I would look in are Religious and Contract law for starters. There are a wide range as you will see from probate to sports law, etc. Also, contact your State Bar Association for recommendations and referrals. Another way is to look up web sites, such as and post a request for help. However, DO NOT GIVE out your name or address, as sometimes non-attorney viewers might contact you. I had a member of scientology contact me once over thje same question, only she supported the JWs. Wait for an attorney to contact you. But, otherwise, it is a good site. - Jim W.

Share this