Dating an ex-JW

by md2be 5 Replies latest jw friends

• md2be
    md2be

My bf is an ex-JW and I am trying to come to terms with his family dynamics. He hasn't talked to any of his relatives who are JW's since he split with JW ex-wife. I was raised to know that that family is #1 regardless of what decisions you or they make in their lifetimes. I was raised ELCA (Lutheran). I had a very easy-going childhood. How in the world can anyone alienate themselves from their own son? Their own grandson? Their own brother? Neither of us have children, but we want to have children together, and I am so scared of this influence and the effect it could have on my future children. He assures me they will never have anything to do with us as long as they refuse to talk with him without demoralizing him. I am scared they will try to come back into his life when we have children because of the children and not because they want to have a relationship with my bf.

They won't talk to him, but his JW mother and ex-wife will call my mother (who is one of the most awesome persons in the world) to tear my bf apart. They say he is manipulative and they are concerned I will be hurt by him. I have never heard of a mother calling a son such awful things before. It tears me up to see how hurt he is. I don't believe he is manipulative. We have a wonderful relationship and he listens to how I feel and backs off when I tell him to. I never felt like I did something I didn't want to do with him. Are they saying these things to try to drive a wedge between us so that he will come back to them? My mother knows their phone #'s now and doesn't answer when they call. I feel so badly that my mother has to screen her calls.

• under74
    under74

"Are they saying these things to try to drive a wedge between us so that he will come back to them?"

I seems so. Sorry for what you're going through. What you're describing has somewhat of a strange slant to it in that they're contacting your mother--she's not a Witness I gather? Strange they would contact a worldly person in dealing with a family member...however, there maybe some people on the forum who have had similiar experiences. In my own experience, all ties were severed with me and my other family members that left. It could be a desperate move on your boyfriend's mom and sister's side?

• md2be
    md2be

Thanks for your response.

Nope, my mother is not a JW. Nobody in my family is. I think you are right about the desperate attempt to bring him back to them by attempting to destroy his relationships with worldly people.

Another concern is my bf says his atheist grandfather doesn't know about the need to cut off family members from contact when they are dfed. His JW grandmother has kept this from the gradnfather because she knows he would be furious if he knew. This just sounds wierd to me.

• under74
    under74

"Another concern is my bf says his atheist grandfather doesn't know about the need to cut off family members from contact when they are dfed. His JW grandmother has kept this from the gradnfather because she knows he would be furious if he knew. This just sounds wierd to me."

Yeah, that sounds weird to me too. But...how is it his grandfather couldn't know? I mean, I guess a lot of people don't know shunning is practiced by the JWs but it's within his own family...well, I guess it's possible. I wouldn't say that telling the grandfather at this point would be a good idea. It could make matters a lot worse with your boyfriend's mom and sister.

I wish I had some magic words to give you but I think all I can tell you is tht you should do as much reading up on this religion as possible and encourage your boyfriend to do the same.

Have either of you read Crisis Of Conscience by Raymond Franz? it gives a lot of insight into the inner workings of JWs. This forum is also a good spot for information. Go to the "jump to" button and click on "Best of" you'll find listings of subjects comprised of past threads. It's been pretty helpful to me.

• under74
    under74

I forgot to say--

Welcome to the forum md2be, I hope you find some answers here.

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

It's extremely difficult to start a "new life" when you leave the JW cult. The family doesn't want you, they don't want you around them to eat dinner with, BUT they also don't want you to have any fun, any friends, and go anywhere in life. They truly want you to fail so that they can be right.

The best thing your bf can do is get counseling, start reading some self help books about toxic families, and start living a FREE life. Free from their manipulation and their negativity.

I did it several years back and finally have a calm stable existence, but it took me a long time to get there.

Good luck!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit