The Ayatollah Khomeini and the Governing Body-Perfect Together

by Shakita 2 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Shakita
    Shakita

Hi everyone,

I haven't tossed out everything that the WT espouses. But my criteria is to let the scriptures do the talking. If the scriptures indicate an understanding that is in conflict with the WT's understanding of a certain scripture then I will adopt the understanding that the sciptures bring out.

If a JW disagrees with even one thing that the WT teaches then they are considered an apostate. That is not scriptural. They are using an imagined authority to force their adherents into embracing their interpretation or else those that disagree and make that disagreement public, will suffer the consequences of disfellowshipment and estrangement from their family.

This is nothing more than narrow fundamentalism. Anyone that doesn't agree with 100 percent of their understanding of scripture are considered as unchristian or not a Christian at all. That is despite the fact that the acceptance or rejection of a particular denomination's interpretation of scripture does not determine whether that one is a Christian or not.

I have finished reading the book The Battle For God by Karen Armstrong. On page 323 she describes the situation in Iran when the Ayatollah Khomeini took over as the spiritual leader of Iran. Khomeini was concerned with the fact that the Muslims throughout Iran were not embracing the tenets of Islam with uniformity. He demanded that everyone embrace his version of Islam, and that everyone accept his understanding of doctrinal orthodoxy.

Here is the quote from page 323 of her book:

"Now Khomeini insisted that Iranians accept his theory of Velayet-e Faqih, ("The mandate of the jurist"; the theory developed by the Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini in the early 1970's which argued that a Faqih should head the state in order to ensure that society conform's wholly to God's will as revealed in the Shariah. (Koran) It's widespread acceptance was a revolutionary departure from Shii Orthodoxy.) and quashed all opposition. "Unity of expression," he told the hajj pilgrims in 1979, was the "secret of victory." The people would not achieve the spiritual perfection he desired for them unless they adopted the right ideas. There could be no democracy of opinion; the people must follow the Supreme Faqih, whose mystical journey had given him "perfect faith."

Tell me how that assertion by the Ayatollah Khomeini is any different than the Watchtower Society's insistence that all their adherents adopt their "unity of expression." All Jehovah's Witnesses must achieve spiritual perfection by adopting the right ideas as espoused by the Governing Body of the Watchtower Society. There is no democracy of opinion, but each Witness must be "perfected in faith" by adopting without question all of the Governing Body's doctrinal assertions. Failure to accept this "unity of expression" will not result in imprisonment or in execution, but it could result in the individual being disfellowshipped and being cut off from his family and friends. How does what the WT Society insists on doing towards their adherents differ from the declarations of the Ayatollah Khomeini? You may object that such a comparison is objectionable, but the effect is the same. All those that don't ascribe to the WT's doctrinal orthodoxy are rejected as evil apostates that have thrown their lot in with Satan.

So, what do you all think? It appears to me that Ayatollah Khomeini's insistence on "unity of expression" is no different than the Governing Body's insistence that we "all speak in agreement." The only difference is that they are not allowed by law to torture, jail and execute the infidels that disagree with them.

Mr. Shakita

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Cults have no tolerance for dissent, or even critical questioning. Anytime a religious or quasi religious man or group of men determine how others ought to think, they are abusing the intelligence and emotions of others. I an my wife were disfellowshipped because were deemed apostate for questioning the WT interpretation of the Genesis flood legend and for saying to a family member that shunning was abusive. The 'security' and idealistic 'purpose' offered by such cults and groups deafens the members from listening to the alarms in their heads. Unfortunately they are secretly divided and miserable all the time they remain in such an environment.

• Shakita
    Shakita

Hi Peacefulpete,

It's astonishing that the WT can't see that their intolerance is just as severe as the Ayatollah Khomeini. I'm sure that they would object to such a comparison, but the parallels are obvious. Just as in the case of you and your wife, you were disfellowshipped for questioning something in the scriptures that you found to be troubling. The WT Society requires a groupthink that they enforce with the silencing of those that don't comply. The Islamic regime could silence its critics in a much more severe fashion, but the chilling effect is the same.

You'll recall that the Ayatollah Khomeini called on the people of Iran to turn in anyone that didn't comply with his "unity of expression." Children were encouraged to spy on and report their parents to the authorities and parents were encouraged to spy on and report their children if they didn't comply with Khomeini's vision of the perfect Muslim.

Again, we in the west cringe at such an obvious impingement on one's freedom of religion and freedom of expression, but the WT Society requires that their adherents report one another if they feel that a Witness is not "speaking in agreement." A parent would be required to turn their child in if he/she either through their conduct or their beliefs showed that they did not espouse 100 percent what the Governing Body had decided what would lead one toward the right ideas and the perfect faith. Of course, children are all also required to turn in their parents if they don't comply 100 percent with the Governing Body.

Thus, there is no true freedom in Christ as the WT Society implies, but there is an exercise of a dictatorship. At the threat of losing one's family and friends, the average Witness must keep quiet even if he disagrees with certain doctrines of the Governing Body. There is an underlying current of fear that develops as the disaffected Witness keeps quiet so as to avoid punishment and the loss of family and friends. There is true freedom where the Christian feels free to share their understanding of scripture without fear of reprisal for voicing that understanding. The forced unity of the WT Society makes the Witnesses into nothing more than drones that sycophantly parrot the party line.

Mr. Shakita

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit