jehavah an hallelujah

by lurk 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• lurk
    lurk

why does the NWT print the word hallelujah but use and E not and A in JEHOVAH?

please xplain it simply if you know cause my brain left me and has moved abroad

lurk

• glitter
    glitter

Jehovah?

• Justin
    Justin

I suppose you know that the name "Jehovah" is artificial creation. That is, the Name found in the Hebrew Scriptures is YHWH, and there are no vowels. But "Hallelujah" (or "Praise Yah") has been assigned vowel signs by the Hebrew scribes, and is therefore pronouncable. Also, the Greek language has vowels, and the pronunciation is the same.

Modern scholars think the original pronunciation of YHWH was "Yahweh," and this would agree with the "Yah" part of "Hallelujah." But the Society, which is otherwise anti-traditional, insists on using the traditional pronunciation of "Jehovah."

• Greenpalmtreestillmine
    Greenpalmtreestillmine

Lurk,

Jah is the shortened form of Jehovah. But for what it's worth the Watchtower does what it wants when it wants to anyway.

• Earnest
    Earnest

Although the Hebrew alphabet does not have vowels, the Greek alphabet does, and the word Allelouia occurs four times in the New Testament (Revelation 19:1,3,4,6). The Greek word for God's name does not occur in existing NT manuscripts so we just don't know what vowels they used if they wrote God's name, but other sources in the early Christian period all translated the first syllable as "Ja" (or, more correctly, "Ia" as the letter J was a later addition to the alphabet).

As Justin observed, the NWT uses 'Jehovah' because that is how it was first translated into English by Tyndale and became the traditional spelling with its inclusion in the Authorised Version.

Earnest

• lurk
    lurk

glitter

are you more confused than me ? possibly?

green palm trees still mine i hear you on that one

justin and earnest

yes i knew about how we got the name jehovah,. read a bit and visitied a few sites on hebrew and ancient hebrew .they also said ,like you, that the first part of the name is preserved in Hallelujah.also the addition of j for Y etc

it is strange that JA/YA is preserved yet they change it to an E and still cant find and explaination as to why they have done that.since they claim its nothin o do with elohiym or adoni

thanks lurk

• City Fan
    City Fan

Glitter is right,

Halleluyah is a composite of Hallelu and Yah. It literally translates from Hebrew as "Praise Jah/Yah, [you people!]" or simply "Praise Jah/Yah!" Jah/Yah is the shortened form of the name Jehovah/Yahweh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halleluyah

CF.

• euripides
    euripides

This makes for a (rather less than) amusing anecdote. As you know, German scholarship in the Renaissance and following led much of the paved way for modern scholarship. German scholars noticed in the Hebrew Masoretic text (from the ninth century CE) that the vowel points below the Tetragrammaton YHWH were as if the word was YaHoWaH, which based on grammatical and lexical convention, don't really make any kind of sense in Hebrew. There is a reason for this, the Masoretes placed the vowel points to the word ADONAI [A_O_A] below the YHWH to remind the reader in Hebrew that this word/name was not to be pronounced, instead as a reading convention the reader is to intone the word 'Adonai,' which means "Lord". But the Germans, unaware of the convention, and taking what they were looking at AT FACE VALUE believed that these vowel points were the intended ones with this name. Thus they transliterated what they saw as Jahovah, although the first vowel, conventionally an a, could be read like the sound {schwa}, rather like the a- sound in the word about. This schwa in English is sometimes represented in transliteration by the letter e (though in grammar it looks like an upside down e). J is the German transliteration for the Yod in Hebrew, and V is the pronunciation of the Waw, pronounced Vav. Thus, you get the artificial construct in English of Je-ho-vah, based on the German error.

Of course, God's people know holding on doggedly to an error is better than admission to such stupidity, thus since 1931 the name of our favorite marginal group has been blessed with this anachronism. Scholars today agree that Yahweh is probably closer to the original (but after all who knows?) What seems certain is that the transliteration 'Jehovah' is flatly wrong, given the story you've just read.

Now as to Hallelujah, you have one clue as to why scholars believe that first vowel is closer to a, as in Yah-weh. This word from the Hebrew was translated into Latin as Alleluia, based on its appearance in Hebrew. In this case, though, there's no getting around that -a- vowel point in the word as, since its an abbreviation, contains those infamous vowel points but no evidence of substitution in the final vowel of the word as we find in the full name. Although observant readers notice this inconsistency in transliteration on the part of those translators opting for the name 'Jehovah' instead of 'Yahweh,' the WT discreetly dodges the issue by changing the subject to the issue of the fault resting upon those NOT using the name, EVEN IF ITS PLAINLY WRONG. According to this rationale, however, I think those small churches which presently use the name Yahweh in their names and worship would stand a better likelihood of finding divine favor among an ancient mountain/storm/warrior God partial to the Israelites and Palestinian real estate, and who is clearly fussy about getting his name pronounced correctly, than today's residual followers of a nineteenth century marginalized Christian apocalyptic group. But that's just me.

Euripides

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit