balance = reading WT/Awake, being on TMS - going to college

by stillajwexelder 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Here is my idea of balance = reading the WT/Awake now and again, being on the TMS - going to college and also reading the bible through at least once, the Koran and Crisis of Conscience - to me that seems quite a good balance - thoughts? Comments?

• willyloman
    willyloman

Uh, yeah, all but the first two.

• coldfish
    coldfish

What is TMS?

• David2002
    David2002

I agree with you-to a certain extent. When I went to college, I kept reading my Bible and active in the TMS. It let me remain spiritually active. But reading Crisis of Conscience. I read that book, but as you probably know, the author is an Ex-Witness, a former member of the GB. There are some Witness who have read it, and they started to get doubts. I heard of a few cases that some even left. But the book has too many inaccuries in it, and some Witnesses that have been in the Truth for a long time were able to see the errors and it did not bother them. But some needed help to regain their strong faith. It up to you whether you read or not, but some remember the apostle Paul warned about paying attention to who bring another teaching, especially ex-true Christians. Agape, David

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

too many inaccuries in it, Crisis of Conscience

Care to elaborate?

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

What is TMS? Theocratic Ministry School

• euripides
    euripides

Balanced...or schizophrenic, maybe that was a moment to relish I suppose, so many feelings competing all at the same time, scintillating to say the least. But, as someone else has pointed out, CoC is something of a deal breaker, even as college can ride you out in a weird way. I think that's where you enter into the moment of 'doublethink'...deny yourself the opportunity to think rationally about anything...and somewhere in there you might just find yourself behaving in an uncontrollable way, responding to inclinations you didn't realize you had. What's really important might come to the fore. I speak from experience, I went to college while an MS, reading WT and Awake!, on the TMS, door to door, studying the Bible in Greek, taking Arabic, seeing apocalyptic imagery in everything...heady, intoxicating, celibate days. Then it all came crashing down. At least in those days I never felt like I was really missing out on anything!

Later on I read CoC, startling in a real downbeat sort of way, almost as if Ray Franz isn't up to the task of being a Vergil on that putrid journey.

I'm sorry if I'm writing in riddles, this question has tripped up a long and deep flashback for me, to some 16-20 years ago...

Euripides

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit