the creation book

by mama 8 Replies latest jw friends

• mama
    mama

When the tsuami, not sure if I spelled that correctly, hit and information poured in my husband made a comment I had never even thought of, the news report that he was watching had scientists on explaining how the T had actually nocked the earth off its orbital course, to which he says, " I guess they will have to throw out the creation book now", of course meaning the references in the book about how life could not exist under any circumstances other than the current orbit,etc. Well, now that the earth is rotating on a different orbit, life still exists. P.S., I am not a scientist in any way and if I have explained this incorrectly, feel free to enlighten me.

• Peppermint
    Peppermint

Don?t worry, its ok.

That flying creation book struck the big man in the sky, who let out a startled exclamation. This blew us on course again.

• Zuko
    Zuko

The change in orbit was so small it is completely insignificant. They think the earth in that instant spin faster by about 100th of a second and the orbit didnt change but the axis moved by a few millimeters. Both are not worth thinking about. Besides this must have happened in the past before anyways since quakes of that strenght have been recorded before.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I think the news report talked about a wobble in rotation, not orbit. Bear in mind that the planet endures earthquakes like these a few times every century, and way worse ones a few times every several millenia. So whatever variance occurs is pretty minimal; gradual precession probably has a greater effect. The Creation book is a dishonest piece of crap regardless, BTW.

Has anyone seen the NOAA animation of the tsunami? It was a global event; energy from the tsunami went all the way to the US East Coast across the Atlantic and over the Pacific to the US West Coast. A tip of Antarctica got it from both directions. Of course, by then the tsunami was almost invisible. I recall it was just a few inches on the West Coast except for Mexico where it was a few feet.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Great observation mama!

To give you a more technical understanding of what happened... the earthquake caused one mass of land to move under and other mass of land. This means that a large mass of ground has moved downward closer to the center of the earth.

Have you ever seen a figure skater spin around with her arms out, then move her arms in causing her to spin faster? Well, the earth did just that. When the mass of ground moved inward, this caused the earth to spin faster, just like the figure skater.

Also, the earth has always had a slight wobble in its spin because the mass of the ground is not the same all the way around... and this causes the little wobble. Imagine a spinning top that is off balance and wiggling back and forth instead of going around in a perfect circle. This is what the earth is doing. Now imagine if you could move a piece of that top so that the top wobbled a little differently. When the earthquake moved the mass of ground from one place to another, this caused earths wobble to change just like the top.

• Mary
    Mary

I heard that the earthquake is the cause of all the bizarre weather that's going on all over the world right now. Snow in California, floods in Ohio, South America, England just got walloped, we're freezing our asses off here in Ontario (what else is new?) and Europe's had some major flooding too...........anyone know exactly how a large earthquake like this one, can screw the weather up so completely?

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain
    I heard that the earthquake is the cause of all the bizarre weather that's going on all over the world right now. Snow in California, floods in Ohio, South America, England just got walloped, we're freezing our asses off here in Ontario (what else is new?) and Europe's had some major flooding too...........anyone know exactly how a large earthquake like this one, can screw the weather up so completely?

There is no way that an earthquake like that can affect weather. Earthquakes are geological, not meterological events. Which means the people that mentioned that are nothing more than eco-fear mongers.

• Dustin
    Dustin

Sometimes I think evolution may be the correct answer anyway.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

PERFECT Comment - may I use it at the KH sometime - I had never thought about it - but yes it is a great thought

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit