Finished Mystery different versions...

by TheApostleAK 8 Replies latest jw friends

• TheApostleAK
    TheApostleAK

I recently got a copy of the Finished Mystery. It's OK if you ignore the mould. Mines the version featured on Witnesses of Jehovah video.

I got a question. Is there different versions (editions) of The Finished Mystery? I noted a post where a poster said Rutherford changed some of it cos of a fallout with one of the authors. Also, one of my Bible Student friends has it but the cover is radically different (Same colour, different layout.)

Also:

Above is the headstone above Russell's grave. Note that he was viewed as the seventh, or "Laodician Messenger" to the Churches (Revelation 3:14) The first six are listed as: St. Paul, St. John, Arius, Waldo, Wycliffe, Luther. (The Finished Mystery, Karatol edition, 1918, p. 64)

Is this my version?

PS What page is the explaination of Leviathan on?
    PPS What pages of it were banned?

• blondie
    blondie

Not exactly what you wanted but related:

After Russell's death in 1916, Joseph F. Rutherford became president of the Society. In 1917 he published The Finished Mystery in which he made some bold predictions of his own regarding the years 1918 and 1920. These predictions also failed to materialize. However when a new edition of the book was published in 1926, the offending statements were modified so as to cover up the false prediction:

The Finished Mystery 1917 Edition

"Also in the year 1918, when God destroys the churches and the church members by millions it shall be that any that escape shall come to the works of Pastor Russell to learn the meaning of the downfall of "Christianity."

"16:20. And every island fled away. Even the republics will disappear in the fall of 1920."

"And the mountains were not found. Every kingdom of the earth will pass away, be swallowed up in anarchy." -page 485 (A-11)

"The three days in which Pharaoh's host pursued the Israelites into the wilderness represent the three years from 1917 to 1920 at which time all of Pharaoh's messengers will be swallowed up in the sea of angry humanity. The wheels will come off their chariots - organizations." -page 258
    (A-11)

The Finished Mystery 1926 Edition

"Also in the year 1918, when God begins to destroythe churches and the church members by millions it shall be that any that escape shall come to the works of Pastor Russell to learn the meaning of the downfall of "Christianity."

"16:20. And every island fled away. Even the republics will disappear in the time of anarchy."

"And the mountains were not found. Every kingdom of the earth will pass away, be swallowed up in anarchy." -page 485 (A-11)

"The three days in which Pharaoh's host pursued the Israelites into the wilderness represent the three years preceding the time of anarchy at which time all of Pharaoh's messengers will be swallowed up in the sea of angry humanity. The wheels will come off their chariots - organizations." -page 258

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Creek/8867/Letter5web.html

*** The Finished Mystery, 1926 edition, p 85 ***
    [Not on 1993/1995 CD-ROMs]
    [Regarding Job 40:15 to 41:34, where "leviathan" is interpreted as a train locomotive]
    Thou wilt lengthen out leviathan (the locomotive) with a hook (automatic coupler) or with a snare (coupling-link) to drop down. Wilt thou not place a ring (piston) in his nostrils (cylinders) or pierce through his cheeks (piston-ends) with a staff (piston rod)? Will he make repeated supplications unto thee (to get off the track)? Or will he utter soft tones unto thee (when he screeches with the whistle)? ... Wilt thou play with him as with a bird (make him whistle at will)? Or wilt thou bind (enslave) him for thy maidens (so that you can take them to a picnic or convention)? Companies (of stockholders) will feast upon him (his earnings).. [Emphasis added]

• TheApostleAK
    TheApostleAK

Goodie! I got the 1917 volume!

• voltaire
    voltaire

Please give us excerpts. I'd be interested in any failed predictions as well as general kookiness.

• blondie
    blondie

You can look at these sites and benefit from their research:

http://www.jwfiles.com/volume7.htm

http://www.geocities.com/osarsif/1919.htm

Or if you have your own copy:

Is it true that the Watchtower Society once taught:
    - That Christ is the almighty of Rev 1:8? - The Finished Mystery, 1917, pg. 15
    - That Christ established a "Church"? - The Finished Mystery, 1917, pg 17
    - That Christ returned invisibly in 1874? - The Finished Mystery, 1917, pg. 54, 60, 68
    - That the Holy Spirit has a personality? - The Finished Mystery, 1917, pg 57
    - That the pyramid of Gizah was God's witness and was used to predict the year of
    Armageddon? - The Finished Mystery, 1917, pg. 60
    - That Armageddon would definitely occur in the spring of 1918? - The Finished Mystery
    1917, pg 62
    - That Christ was crucified? - The Finished Mystery, 1917, pg. 68
    - That Leviathan of the Bible refers to the steam locomotive? - The Finished Mystery,
    1917, pg 85
    - That Michael is the Pope of Rome and his angels are the Catholic bishops? - The
    Finished Mystery, 1917, pg 188

or a few here and there

Studies In The Scriptures, Vol 7, The Finished Mystery, from page 128: "No doubt Satan believed the Millennial Kingdom was due to be setup in 1915... Be that as it may, there is evidence that the establishment of the Kingdom in Palestine will probably be in 1925, ten years later than we once calculated."

"Some of the Scriptures, which, when understood in their connections and significance, prove that the Lord's Second Advent occurred in the fall of 1874 are as follows:" (This statement is followed by a list of 88 Bible verses which are offered as proof that Christ came in 1874.) - 1917 book, The Finished Mystery p. 68

"the awakening of the sleeping saints in the Spring of 1878. ... The awakening of the sleeping saints, A. D. 1878, was just half way (three and one-half years each way) between the beginning of the Times of Restitution in 1874 and the close of the High Calling in 1881." - 1917 book The Finished Mystery p. 64

"Ezek. 5:2, 12, 16, 17, relate to features of the destruction of literal Jerusalem in 606 B. C. and 70-73 A. D. and of Christendom in 1914 to 1918 A. D." - 1917 book, The Finished Mystery, p. 398

"The trouble is due to the dawning of the Day of Christ, the Millennium. It is the Day of Vengeance, which began in the world war of 1914 and which will break like a furious morning storm in 1918." - 1917 book, The Finished Mystery, p. 404

"Be that as it may, there is evidence that the establishment of the Kingdom in Palestine will probably be in 1925, ten years later than we once calculated." - <1917 book, The Finished Mystery, p. 128

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Why not try the Finished Mystery on line at

( http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Thebes/5606/FM/index.htm

This site also have the Millions book and many more at

( http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Thebes/5606/Catalog.htm

hawk

• blondie
    blondie

Thanks, hawk.

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

blondie,

No problemoo

Just do what my wannabee JW doesn't do. Read !!! (especially using the critical reading skills)

hawk

• blondie
    blondie

Oh, I read, hawk, and critically. I've been around a long time with a long memory. Most of these "discoveries" I have made on my own but I am glad to seem them validated here and other places.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose
    Kris Kristofferson

or

If you don't have freedom, you have nothing left to lose.
    Anonymous

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit