the beard story!!

by mgm 7 Replies latest jw friends

• mgm
    mgm

I still go to meetings sometimes. Yesterday a young brother was complaining to me about the elders. They didn't like his new, well cared, beard. I was a bit surprised about, since I thought that beards are now accepted. Probabely it has to do that he's Italian.
    Anyway, I noticed at the assambly a lot of young brothers wearing beards nowaday.
    So, friend in the US and the other parts of the world, are the elders still very strict in that matter?
    BTW, I told the young brother, he should ask the elder to show him the law in the bible.
    MGM

...wearing a beard to look good and different..

• Simon
    Simon

If Jesus came back now, he wouldn't be allowed to give talks in our circuit...not with all his facial growth.
    When I was little I always used to wonder why beards were wrong if God made us have them.
    Obviously, I didn't personally have a beard when I was little.
    I would have been in a circus.
    "Come...see the amazing bearded boy"
    I did grow a beard though once. Just not then.

• waiting
    waiting

Hey y'all,

In Southern USA, ok for moustache, (since they intergrated, 'cause a lot of black brothers had them - and the whites wanted them.)

If you want any "priveledge" - better have no hair under your lip, however. Beards are definitely forbidden.

waiting

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

I think the tide is slowly turning on this issue. The Society's stance i believe is for each local congregation to decide, but it appears most males still "get the message".

The way I see it is that every faithful man in the Bible pretty much had a beard, and shaving was a pagan custom from the Egyptians. If we really wanted to be no part of the world, we'd more likely stick with what is natural and wear beards and avoid the pagan unatural custom of shaving.

Why is it that we try to blend in with the business world (and even business has changed these days) in this regard and then insist we are no part of it in other areas?

I noticed a recent article on tattooing and body piercing appears to leave that with the individual now. I guess dictating personal choices like beards appears rather Pharasaical, if not cult-like.

Of course, no matter what the Society puts into print, most of us understand how it all works out in the real world. No beards, no tattoos/piercings. (And no voting either)

Path

• waiting
    waiting

Hey Path,

My husband has now had a short beard for 3 mos. We have not been to a KH in about 6 mos.

I told a young brother that works for us that the reason (and it's true) that my husband grew his beard was that he has a skin irritation down the side of his cheek. When he shaves, it's like scratching it, and leaves it raw, then with repetition, leaves it bleeding. Shaving daily keeps it like this all the time. He found by not shaving it has cleared up.

The brother was so glad to hear this! "If you would just go to the elders and explain his condition, they would take it into consideration and maybe give his priveleges back."

The elders haven't bothered to talk to us in all this time, nor we to them. Now my husband should explain his condition, humbly. As if he's done something which needs forgiveness.

I think the brother could tell by my expression that I thought he was nuts. He just mumbled something and walked away.

About 3 years ago, my husband grew a short beard in Dec. - even down here, working outside is cold in the winter. He works outside all day. He shaved it off first of Feb.

He was not given a talk for about 6 mos. following this. He finally asked conductor why. The conductor explained that this "priviledge had been taken" from him for his beard.

My husband asked why he was not told of this "priviledge" being removed? No answer. He then asked why was this "priviledge" not returned after he shaved his beard off after the one month? No answer.

Stupid little rules for the sake of conformity.

waiting

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Hmmmm....does the removal of privileges apply to post-menopausal women also? Oops, I forgot, women don't get ANY privileges to begin with.

But, then again, would her husband have his privileges removed? And....should she pluck, wax, or shave? Or doesn't it matter?

• Tigger
    Tigger

Just between you and me, I always had a soft spot for Grizzly Adams.
    But seriously I know 2 guys that were born with a cleft lip and theyve both grown moustaches to cover the scar...does that mean they have to shave it off if they want to get anywhere in the truth?
    Shaving is a manmade idea. Guys cant help it if they have facial hair. Im sure Adam didnt just stumble across a razor one day out strolling in the garden and take it home to Eve and say " I think Im gunna shave all the hair off my face from now on, what do you reckon?"
    Maybe the society has a lot of shares in Gillette?
    How come sisters arent required to grow their hair long? I seem to remember a scripture about how good it was for them to have long hair. Am I right?

• mgm
    mgm

yes tigger, your right.
    To have long hair for sisters would be even more biblical than for man not to have a beard....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit