I have a question about a quote from Ray Franz

by Truth and Justice 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Truth and Justice
    Truth and Justice

Hi to the Group!

I have a question about a quote that Ray Franz made, and I am quoting him, his quote is as follows:  Page 283 of "Crisis of Conscience" top of the page:

Fred was saying - In his comments, he stated that some were questioning the society's position (set forth in a recent Watchtower) that Jesus Christ is the mediator only for the "anointed" ones and not for the other millions of Jehovah's Witnesses.   And then Fred Franz said "They would merge everyone together and make Jesus Christ the mediator for every Tom, Dick, and Harry."  (end of quotes) I had read the book back when it first came out and remembered how stunned I was over this comment. My question is do they still believe this way? Because for everyone that prays, there asking themselves, Well if I'm praying why would I say "In Jesus name, Amen" if Jesus is not the mediator for the common man? It would be senseless. At one point a sister asked the brother, "not even in prayer is he our mediator?"  

I plan to do letter and send to my brother who is a Presiding overseer some of this information to get his input and maybe plant some seeds to open his thinking. Is there another name they use instead of Presiding Overseer? so I can be one step up on him, it will help me.

As far as I'm concerned, Jesus has always been the Mediator for me and for you, and all of mankind. If they could just be like the Bereans and examine the scriptures, they might learn something, maybe even new light to them. (1 Tim 2:5,6)

If someone could help me with this, it be great! Thanks for any help you provide.

As I always like to say, "Happy Trails to You!"     TNT

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

I cannot speak about current doctrine and teachings about for whom Jesus is the mediator, but I have learned from this discussion board that the term 'Presiding Overseer' is no longer used.  The current term is CBOE - Coordinator of the Body of Elders.

-Aude.

• Truth and Justice
    Truth and Justice

Thanks Aude, 

you just help me remember, that's what it was. I appreciate it.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

My question is do they still believe this way?

It hasn't been rescinded.

*** w79 4/1 p. 31 Questions From Readers ***

Is Jesus the “mediator” only for anointed Christians?

... At a time when God was selecting those to be taken into that new covenant, the apostle Paul wrote that Christ was the “one mediator between God and men.” (1 Tim. 2:5) Reasonably Paul was here using the word “mediator” in the same way he did the other five times, which occurred before the writing of 1 Timothy 2:5, referring to those then being taken into the new covenant for which Christ is “mediator.” So in this strict Biblical sense Jesus is the “mediator” only for anointed Christians.

*** w89 12/15 p. 30 Do You Remember? ***

In what sense does Paul use the term “mediator” when referring to Jesus at 1 Timothy 2:5, 6?

In this text, Paul uses the Greek word me·si′tes for “mediator,” which term has a legal significance, so he is not using this word in the broad sense common in many languages. Hence, Paul is not saying that Jesus is Mediator between God and all mankind. Rather, he is referring to Christ as legal Mediator of the new covenant, which laid the basis for Christ’s anointed followers to share with him in his heavenly Kingdom. (2 Corinthians 5:1, 5; Ephesians 1:13, 14; Hebrews 8:7-13)—8/15, pages 30, 31.

*** w08 12/15 pp. 13-14 pars. 12-14 Appreciate Jesus’ Unique Role in God’s Purpose ***

The original-language word translated “mediator” is a legal term. It refers to Jesus as a legal Mediator (or, in a sense, an attorney) of the new covenant that made possible the birth of a new nation, “the Israel of God.” (Gal. 6:16) This nation is composed of spirit-anointed Christians, who form a heavenly “royal priesthood.” (1 Pet. 2:9; Ex. 19:6) The Law covenant, with Moses as mediator, was not able to produce a nation like that.

[...]

What about those who are not in the new covenant, those who hope to live forever on earth, not in heaven? While not participants in the new covenant, these are beneficiaries of it. They receive forgiveness of their sins and are declared righteous as God’s friends. (Jas. 2:23; 1 John 2:1, 2) Whether we have a heavenly hope or an earthly hope, each one of us has good reason to appreciate Jesus’ role as the Mediator of the new covenant.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

(Matthew 26:27, 28) "And taking a cup, he offered thanks and gave it to them, saying: “Drink out of it, all of you, 28 for this means my ‘blood of the covenant,’ which is to be poured out in behalf of many for forgiveness of sins." 

For "many" - not a ficticious, limited number. If you aren't in the Covenant, how are your sins forgiven? (Rom. 5:18)

(1 Timothy 2:5, 6) "For there is one God, and one mediator between God and 144,000 and men, a man, Christ Jesus, who gave himself a corresponding ransom for 144,000 all. . ."

Wouldn't the G.B. love these verses to change!

(John 14:6) "No one comes to the Father except through me."

Pretty self-explanatory - even for a Co-ordinator of the Body of Elders!

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

(1 Timothy 2:5, 6) "For there is one God, and one mediator between God and 144,000 and men, a man, Christ Jesus, who gave himself a corresponding ransom for 144,000 all. . ."

Wouldn't the G.B. love these verses to change!

Now that they have set the precedent of changing the Bible via their NWT revisions, don't be surprised. They can now change the Bible as easily as they've changed their doctrine and the R&F will lap it up.

Doc

• Rufus T. Firefly
    Rufus T. Firefly
    My wife refuses to accept the fact that the WT teaches that Christ is mediator only for the 144,000...even when I showed it to her in the Insight book. My wife is a "zealous" regular pioneer who never talks about the Bible or "the truth" and who has no interest in conducting a Bible study with anyone. This is how one remains a JW.
  • crazyguy1
    crazyguy1
    They will never change this teaching, this religion is about exalting the leadership nothing more.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit